Since the site does not require people to register, I'll answer.

There are several trip reports on here regarding Captain's Compass. Brent is a one man operation, he does it all - cleaning the boats, reserving the boats, boat checkouts, and arranging for chase calls as required.

He lives onsite next to the boats at Sea Cows Bay, or at least did last year. I've been chartering with him the last few years.

His boats are older, no fuss no muss, no fancy dodads.

He also vets all of his charterers pretty closely, if he doesn't like you, you don't charter. If he doesn't like what you've done on charter (i.e. go to White Bay when he has red-lined it), he won't let you charter from him again.

All these reasons are why his charters are cheaper than others. Low overhead equals low costs. Repeat customers means he knows what kind of people he has on the boats, and he won't usually have huge issues with repairs, as he trusts his repeat customers.

He's not for everyone, but those that charter with him repeatedly are loyal.

I've never been dinged for any extra charges, in fact it's usually the other way around - I end up getting free fuel, or don't have to pay for any damages that I was expecting to pay for.