Boatboy said:
Chartering a Moorings cat out of Rodney Bay St Lucia in the spring. Thinking about crossing over to Martinique...is it worth the trip? Thanks

I guess it all depends on what you’re looking for.

After banging around the Windward’s for quite awhile I personally prefer to attempt to connect with the local ambiance and appreciate a more laid back community. St. Vincent and the Grenadines are my favorite but you don’t have the time to make it happen the way it should.

Leaving from St. Lucia, Martinique is so close it’s a no brainer. Head for the Sainte Anne/ Le Marin area. Sainte Anne is really low key with some places in the town serving great French food for a reasonable price. Want more action slide around the marker and head for Le Marin. You can see it but it’ll take a few hours to get there. Two good markets to provision and easy anchoring. Just make sure when you anchor to check the race schedule so your not anchored in the course.

Fort De France is a bustling place and the Capital. If you’re into really cool old style communities, get away from the water front about 6 blocks and you are in the old town square.

Sainte Pierre is very special. Anchoring here is a little tricky. Stay 3 or 4 hundred yards south of the main dock in about 20’ and look for a nice sand patch between the rocks that the volcano blew all over the place. Set it well and enjoy the market and all the history that surrounds this area.