I’ll try and keep this nice and tidy so you all will get a little taste of our travels and hopefully know what to expect if and when your plans allow you back on SXM.

My wife and I have been coming off and on to SXM for 20 years. We first started as day trippers coming from Anguilla and eventually started staying for our week long vacations primarily on the French side. Once we found Grand Case it was game over for us. Great restaurants within walking distance from VRBO places and then with the arrival of Airbnb we could usually find a place that fit our family needs. Sometimes with our kids and sometimes without now that they’re grown and living their best lives.

We usually hit the beach of the day around 9am, bake in the sun, read, eat lunch and then back to our villa by 3pm. Relax, adult beverages at 5pm and dinner around 6pm. Evening’s are spent enjoying the quiet time together listening to the waves lap at the shore. As the shampoo bottle says “rinse and repeat”

Day 1(11/14) Arrived from Atlanta at 2:50 (on time) and made our way to immigration. The normal shuttle bus ride from the aircraft to the terminal was about half as packed as the normal sardine-like ride. I’m not sure the number of buses they used but it was an obvious attempt to limit the exposure due to COVID-19 I’m sure. A quick temperature check while we waited in line and then we were sent to a health screening table where we showed our pre-approval document and lab results. We then went through immigration in record time. Lesley met us with our car and we were off to our villa in Grand Case. We’re staying on the south side of town, a little too far to walk to our restaurants but a very short drive. First night’s dinner is Papadan’s Pizza in Mt. Vernon. Awesome thin crust pizza! Charred crust with pepperoni and mushrooms hits the spot every time.

Day 2 (11/15) Spent the day at Orient Bay at Le String Beach Bar. $20 US for two chairs, umbrella and two drinks. Jean (formerly at Rainbow Cafe) runs the beach service. He said he’s helping out until December when Rainbow Cafe should reopen. Lunch was okay but nothing fancy. My wife and I shared some fried mozzarella sticks and a avocado-crab roll. Dinner was at La Villa in Grand Case. I had the John Dory encrusted in almonds and butter. It was just as good as the last time! Molten chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream for desert, fabulous! Maria had the vegetable tart and finished with pistachio creme brûlée which made her very happy.

Day 3 (11/16) We drove to Karakter’s for the day. It’s a great beach experience if you’ve never been. Very laid back atmosphere with the kitchen being operated out of an old bus. Lunch was Tuna tartar served with a salad and fries. Their food is always fresh and tasty. They’re going to starting a new VIP type experience very soon on the large structure adjacent to their current bar. It’s a huge deck with private cabanas and private showers. Your cabana will include a private chef and champagne. The cost for the day will be $250 but the food will be extra. Details are supposed to be on their Facebook page soon. We stopped at the Carefour market in Cole Bay on our way home and picked up some salami, Brie and a baguette for dinner. It was our “cheap” night and tasted great. Everything taste better when you’re looking at your private bay with the lights of Anguilla as a back drop.

Day 4 (11/17) Drove to Friars Bay but nobody was open. Disappointed since it’s a nice quiet beach and the chairs are free as long as you eat at the restaurant. Drive back to Orient Bay and went to Bikini Beach for the day $20 euro for 2 chairs, 2 tables and a umbrella. Lunch was excellent! I had the fish sandwich with fries and Maria had the antipasti salad which looked incredible! It was a pesto covered burrata on a bed of greens with artichoke hearts, prosciutto, roasted peppers, beets and assorted fruits. Dinner was going to be back in Grand Case at Piazza Pascal but it has changed hands and become Il Patio. The new owners changed the name two weeks ago as well as the menu. The chef was brought in from Italy and they really do a good job. The restaurant seating is still the same upstairs open air patio arrangement with Italian music piped in over the speakers. I had the Calabrese pizza and was impressed. Thin charred crust, spicy tomato sauce, Italian sausage, grilled peppers and black olives. My wife had the Tagliolini, which was mouth watering! We both had the Tiramisu for desert which was both light and rich. We were not disappointed.

Sorry I haven’t figured a way to share photos yet. I’ll keep working on it and hopefully have a way to get them posted before we leave. More to come.