Just back from Riviera Maya trip mid December. Following observations:

Air travel and airports:
We flew AA connecting in Charlotte. Flights were very full, A321 w Center seats occupied. Boarding is still chaotic by zones, not rows, though we had earlier zone boarding due to AA Advantage CCard. Deplaning is less chaotic as AA is deplaning by rows, so less folks standing in aisles. Airports were very busy, with announcements about “social distancing” vs the reality of standard TSA and check-in and boarding lines, and normal crowded seating in gate areas. Political, “Medical” and Security Theatre of the highest order.

Departure from CUN is more ridiculous than normal with instructions to complete an online Wuflu questionnaire. It wouldn’t work from my wife’s older phone, and she finally got a paper form that was then totally ignored throughout the checkin process.. I was able to complete the online form though I used fictitious information, proving this entire process is a total joke and a government make work endeavor.

Transfers
Typical zoo going through CUN post immigration and customs, with plenty of operators present. Didn’t use Lomas as in the past, will next time.

El Dorado Royals Casitas
First visited this resort 19 years ago! Retuning after a couple of stays and visits, but we are not a RCI “member”. We’ve stayed in AIs before and last -2016- in condo/hotels in PDC. Even though the US State Dept had a travel warning on Mexico, we had no qualms about traveling to Mexico and staying in an AI. Very self contained, no reason to leave the property and the casitas section is a small resort within a resort. Our Casitas section 30 was only 36 rooms sharing our own swim ups, pool, bar, beach, etc. - with smaller restaurants one or two sections near in either directions. I’d guess resort was less than half full. Service, food, booze all top flight. Check-in & check-out was unnecessarily time consuming and cumbersome...only negative of the stay.

Reason for traveling to Mexico?
No Wuflu travel testing nonsense, and normal wonderful, welcoming Mexicans! We missed the smiling faces, but felt confident the smiles were behind their masks. Once in the resort, guests with masks were few. Some ridiculous couples walking the beach with no one within 50 feet, but certainly no masks in the pool. joy

Wished we were somewhere in the Caribbean on a sailboat, but not going to put up with the asininity of the Caribbean countries right now. Glad we went, suggest you give Mexico a go for a getaway.