As I posted on another thread, there is concern about crime in Nassau, but I do not think the risk of crime to any one person in Nassau is any higher than in most other places in Bahamas or Caribbean.

Having said that, seeing different levels of risk for women than men, even during the daylight hours of a port of call stop in Nassau, I would not want my wife or adult daughters to be going off on their own outside the couple blocks of the main pier area of Nassau.

In groups, however, I would not be overly concerned with them seeing the sites of Nassau, such as the Water Tower, the Queen's staircase, the museum (just north of hospital - north of Queen's staircase), or Ardestra (a zoo which can be enjoyable).

Also, although some here are obviously wimps, most people do not have too much trouble with the water temps in January to do some snorkeling and there is some excellent snorkeling in Nassau area. I would recommend signing up with a ship excursion or with a private snorkel trip before getting to Nassau - there are a number of options depending on when and how long you will be in port. The basic snorkel trip that the cruise lines offer is OK - the downside usually is not price but there can be too many people stuffed onto the boat. If you know you will get cold quickly, bring a shorty wet suit or rent one - that should be more than enough to handle the temps.