Allen, congrats on retirement, I've been in that mode for a year....perfect timing with sheltering in place this year!

FYI, our last BVI sailing trip was almost 4 years ago, uggh! That trip on s/v Orion included a couple days on St John, I wrote a trip report which included stories/pics of St John. We have been to St John many many times land based and boat , started around 1981 when I was 18! Favorite overnight mooring fields are Maho, Leinster and Francis (Bring what you need!). Provisioning was done in Cruz Bay, have anchored outside of the National Park channel and also grabbed a ball near Caneel and took the dingy in. We have only been on friends boats/day sails that entered Coral Bay, always had a personal mooring their. Salt Pond has a few balls, as well as Lameshur's...could be hit or miss daily now with more boats around. I wouldn't want to tell you what's available outside of Cruz Bay because it's been a while and things change, perhaps others will chime in. Maho, Francis and Leinster are all about peace and quite, turtles! calm swimming waters and beautiful beaches. If you or the crew are runners or just like long flat walks it's there. Annaberg Ruins is an easy walk from Leinster. From Salt Pond the Ram Head hike is great. Lameshur has the Reef Bay trail ruins with petroglyphs!

Hope some with recent info will chime in!