We just returned from the USVI with my parents (77). It's the 3rd sailing we have taken them on over the past 5-6 years. There is almost always a way to get ashore via dinghy. Getting in and out of the dinghy can be tricky, however, and we were always very slow and cautious, particularly with my mother. If you hit a key snorkling spot, such as the Indians, you will probably just want to stay aboard while the others snorkel. But the view and breeze is always great. The Baths is a major attraction that you can access via the water (via swim or paddleboard), but I would suggest that you would want to go to Leverick and take a cab there. But, you also have to hike down to it and through little caves etc. You should probably research if it is something you would feel comfortable doing.

In general you will find most folks on this forum with a very pro bias. We all love the nature, the people, the beach restaurants and bars, and just the overall vibe. And there is no better way to bond with family and friends. Everyone of our trips is memorable.

There plenty of great posts for itineraries in either forum (look for Captain Jay's for the USVI), and here is a recent one for the BVI below

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubb...to-bvis-need-suggestions.html#Post255558