The day we were at the Canyon there were extremely high winds so there was not going to be any sightseeing runs that day anyway, but to answer your question.

A helicopter is an extremely complicated tool. The old sane about a helo was "50,000 Spare Parts flying in close proximity" Unlike other a aircraft, a helicopter has to be forced to fly. If I remember correctly, it was not until the late 60s early 70s when they actually proved scientifically that a helicopter could fly. We knew it could - just did not know why. By design they require A Lot of upkeep in maintenance. The helicopters I flew in had maintenance requirements every 10 hours of flight. So when one uses this tool for commercial profit - the required maintenance is costly and takes time out of when they can be making money. There are regulations that govern commercial aviation and most operators are extremely good about meeting the requirements. But once again a helo in not an airplane when it comes to love and care.

While I was flying in the USCG part of every crewman's duties was pre-flighting the aircraft. So I had more confidence of the air worthiness of the aircraft that my butt was going to be sitting in. Especially considering that many times we were operating in less than desirable weather conditions. During my time in the CG, I was aware of multiple accidents involving sightseeing accidents in Hawaii and Alaska as well a helos and shuttling passengers out to oil rigs, and in fact worked on one of the cases.

My last flight in a helo was on a commercial one. One of my collateral duties of my job was to photograph a ship that I had worked on while it was on sea trials. I got some great shots and I love flying and was so excited to be in the air again until the door popped on at 2000 feet over the gulf. In my headset I hear the pilot say "that damn door keeps popping open" It is safe to say my heart did beat a couple times faster than normal as he turned the aircraft so I could close the door, which I accomplished with a few four letter words and a couple prayers.

So for me flying in commercial helos is like elective surgery - are the gains worth the risk? For me - No.

I will also confirm that I will never be a passenger in Bezos or Branson's new ride to space for profit aircraft. smile

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés