Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I looked at the 46.3 for a possible purchase and the 53 gallon fuel tank plus the small water tank was a issue I did not like. If you run the generator 12 hours a day you will burn 6 to 7 gallons each night. That leaves a 53 gallon tank barely adequate for a 7 night charter. Anything more or if you motor a lot you will need a fuel stop. My old Beneteau 50 had a 106 gallon fuel tank and 300 gallons of water in comparison.

According to Moorings web site specs for the boat, there are 2 water tanks: 87 gallon under forward berth, 53 under a stern berth. There were 5 of us on a 14 day charter. We filled the forward tank 4 days out before heading to Anegada but mainly because we were going to be there a few days with no ability to refill. Coming back we filled again when we refueled after 9 days. I suspect we could have done 7 days with the 2 water tanks and no refills.

The fuel and water gauges seemed to be pretty accurate but it wasn't clear how much was remaining when it got low and said we were on reserves. I believe that was a 10% figure. What confused me is the Mooring spec sheet on the last page said it had a 106gal fuel capacity but tucked up earlier was a line saying 53 gallons which I had missed. That was obviously the right number. I suspect the space for the fuel was taken by the second water tank. We called Moorings service and were told that we had enough fuel for the remaining 3.5 days of our charter. Obviously that wasn't the case since we needed the generator to keep the aft cabins comfortable at night.

A couple of minor complaints. With all the lines moved back to the helm station, there was a large amount of trunk space on either side of the companionway. In the documentation they talked about 2 Sunbed mattresses that were not on the boat, I was told they kept getting lost at sea so had been removed. So much for sunning up there. There was limited cushion coverage in the cockpit with no back cushions and none on the helm stations and nothing for back support at the helm. The large gap between the helms was open with just a couple of lifelines and a foot block when the swim platform was up. We didn't lose anything (or anyone) back there but it felt unsecure.

I'm not sure how profitable a 3 cabin 47' monohull is in charter but it certainly would be a great boat to have coming out of charter.

Louis from Houston