Originally Posted by bernk
Good idea with the filter and jug, but we won't have space for that. Maybe we can bring a smaller camping type filter though… Bottled water just really doesn't sit right with me, for several reasons, but especially so in places like the BVI where waste management is a huge problem.

Is tap water in the BVI generally OK, or are there places where it's definitely not? I recently had an eye opening conversation with a friend about tap water and the consensus was that we take what we have here in BC for granted.

I would not drink the tap water most places in the BVI because it is often not city tap water. Even if it starts from the water plant, it is stored in cisterns or tanks when the water is actually flowing and then pumped to the tap. In CGB, I've been told we only have running city water on Tuesdays and then most Tuesdays only a couple of hours. In the US that would result in a boil order.

At Coconut Breeze Villas, we have recently finished a project to drain, clean, repair and reseal all of our cisterns. Then we installed new 2 stage sediment filters and a UV treatment system in each building. We collect water from each roof and store over 80,000 gallons on site. In fact, this week we are power washing one of the concrete roofs and repainting it to ensure that building is getting nice clean water!

I can tell you the water is good to drink at Quito's Inn too. They have a very similar treatment system!

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com