Nutmeg said:
Chip... I want to hear about your Italy experience. We are planning that for next year!

Nutmeg and Chip,

If you have not finished your Italian itinerary, I would highly recommend the Liguria region. This area does not get the notoriety of Tuscany, Umbria, or Vento, but Liguria is a magical place on the sea. The Cinque Terre is part of this region and well worth a visit, albeit tourist can overrun it in the summer. Small towns like Lerici and Portovenere are just like a post card. If you are on a tighter budget, La Spezia is a small city with very reasonable rates and very close to all the areas mentioned above. Quick ferry, bus, or train ride – your choice.

Here is a great blog from a few years ago written by a couple that spent a 65 Days in Italy Lots a great info in the blog and hints for your visit.

And if you are into wine... Make sure you hit the Piemonte! Barolo, Barbaresco, Alba, and Asti all await you. This is a great area to get a B&B.

Enjoy!

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés