Woke up to another gorgeous day on Orient Bay!

Saturday is typically 'moving day' for travelers coming and going on the island so we opted for staying close by. Just on the other side of the pool of our little townhome is Kontiki. They do a great job raking the seaweed on the beach as well as providing different lunch options. Fredric (not sure of spelling), runs the beach service and definitely hustles to keep up with orders. The bad thing here is chair cost. We paid $35 euro for two chairs and umbrella but chose to stay here as our 'splurge' beach day for different lunch options as well as convenience. We thought about staying next door at Orange Fever for the $5 chairs and eating at Kontiki but thought that would just be rude.

I knew from past experience what I was having for lunch, Salade Oualichi! Lobster, shrimp, avocado, fruit with Tamarind dressing on the side. I can't describe this but the picture speaks volumes! It's light yet the perfect combination of sweetness, tart, protein and crunch. Fabulous!

Dinner time we were off to La Villa. I don't think you'll find a more welcoming restaurant on the island by the entire staff. They all treat you like family and create a perfect environment to enjoy a good meal. I'll start with the bad news first. No more John Dory on the menu. Evidently they aren't able to get a consistent source and have dropped it from the menu. The good news was they are using the same almond butter recipe now with Triggerfish. My wife had it and said it was different than the lighter John Dory but equally good. Her best meal on the island to date! I had the Mahi Mahi in a saffron cream sauce that was good but not what I wanted. Dessert was chocolate molten cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a good way to drown my non John Dory eating tears. Several rum shots later by the owner and JC and all was forgiven.

La Villa is truly a 'not-to-miss' restaurant in Grand Case. The food and staff make for a truly enjoyable experience.

Sunday we made our way to Friar's Bay Beach Club. If you haven't been you're missing out on a very laid back time. Unlike the hustle and bustle that is Orient Bay, Friar's Bay is just about as laid back as you can get without falling asleep.....okay I fell asleep. No beach vendors, no waves, easy entry and exit to water regardless of weather and of course great food. I had my usual tuna tartar with fries and was not disappointed. The restaurant/bar has a interesting eclectic music mix that always brings a smile to my wife and I. I can't explain it but you'll hear everything from classical, Muddy Waters, 80's rock and Frank Sinatra. Did I mention no credit cards? No credit cards but exchange rate was better than most.

Since I'm on the topic of credit cards, I'll make a quick comment regarding Orient Bay restaurants as well as Grand Case restaurants. Unless the business is telling you that they offer a 1 to 1 dollar to euro by paying cash you need to know what your credit card company will charge you. Most places we visited are printing out their checks with a euro amount total and dollar amount total. The current exchange rate is floating around $1.04 equals 1 euro. The restaurants are charging closer to $1.17 or higher in some cases. I'm not sure if this is a system thing or if the business has control over it but it's definitely noticeable. My credit card company charges closer to the actual exchange rate so I've been charging on my Visa and leaving tips in cash. Most places don't take American Express and won't allow tips to be added to the credit card. The difference can add up if you're spending $100 or more on a meal so be aware.

Dinner was another baguette, brie and sausage infused with hazelnuts.

Another good couple of days!

Attached Files IMG_1045.JPGIMG_1046.JPGIMG_1047.JPGIMG_1049.JPGIMG_1055.JPG