Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Pretty sad the criminals don't follow local law.

I'm glad I live in a country where the criminals obey the law!

On a more serious note, I can't think of a single good reason for a tourist to try to prevent armed robbers from leaving after they just held people at gunpoint. You typically don't want people with guns to hang around. This has to be either sloppy reporting or there is more to the story. Either way, the victim is very, very lucky to be alive.

Unfortunately, SXM has created a situation where criminals can look at their chances of getting caught AND getting successfully prosecuted AND serving any real punishment in the future, compare that to what they might gain right now, and decide that its worth the crime. As an added bonus, they can be virtually certain their law-abiding victims won't/can't fight back, so there is no real immediate consequence to their actions. Criminals may be evil sociopaths, but they tend not to be irrational. The good news is that most crime like this tends to be committed by a few repeat offenders. But unless SXM gets serious about weeding those people out, it won't get better.