An update on our travel with SUP's. We took 2 iRocker SUP's on our 12 day charter. The worked great, although we didn't use them as much as we'd like due to quite a bit of wind and current in most places. We had no problems with the airline flying Delta from ATL to STT. We had to drop them off at the oversize baggage drop, but that was the only thing out of the ordinary. We checked them for free with my Delta status and used private land and water taxi's so didn't have to worry about extra fees. The large roller bags allowed us to add other stuff... clothes, bathroom supplies, sunscreen, snorkel great, etc... and still stay at 50 lbs.

However, the only negative was the roller bags themselves. They are not sturdy enough to stand up to airline travel. Both of the bags have holes in the netting on the outside. One has a hole in the canvas, which is very lightweight compared to a normal travel duffel. The zippers are not very secure so one bag was opened when we picked it up in STT, but fortunately nothing fell out. These bags are great for everyday, local use, but not suited for airline travel (even on a direct flight). I don't think they'd hold up to another trip.

I would definitely take the SUP's again, but I'd get a large duffel or something with a heavier canvas to carry them in.