We went to Iceland when it never really got dark, so the northern lights were switched off!

What kind of camera will you have? I have never photographed them, but if/when I do, I would experiment with my f4, 14-24mm lens and my f2.8, 24mm, I think the 2.8 would have better results but my widest focal length of 14mm at f4 might do ok. I'd pick a location with no ambient light. I'd make sure I had a sturdy tripod. I'd have extra batteries in the cold weather. I take lots of pics, so I would start playing with ISO down around maybe 800 and move up towards my highest and see the results. I would be adjusting my speeds/exposure from 2 sec to maybe 30?? While playing with combos of these settings I'd be looking to see if images are grainy or not. I think choosing a focus in the dark would be tricky, I have an infinity setting, but knowing me I'd manually play with focus, especially if trees, people, mountains etc were to be included. With slow exposure I would make my subjects hold a pose for as long as it took. I use manual settings on my camera, but wouldn't it be nice if they included an Aurora symbol or waterfall symbol on the dial to make life easier!!

Where are you staying? have you been to Iceland?