sunbvi said:
@GlennA: Thanks a lot for this explanation. I was always wondering why all BVi-books say north swell can be a problem at the south bays of Jost van Dyke. I was not aware of a reflection of the USVI.

Do you think it is also a safety issue to be on a buoy on bad weather in the White Bay or is it only the 'way to the buoy' going between the reefs? The mooring ball should be probably very well fixed on the ground?

For tonight 'Windfinder' forcasts a wind of 18 kts (NE turning in the morning to the east) and a swell of 0.7 meters (ONO - NO). Do you think this is to much? (forecast is for Beef Island, not sure if there is a big difference to JvD).

Does anybody know what have been the reasons for boats running ashore in the past in the White Bay?

The moorings in White Bay are dangerous. The boat Mr Bill in the photos above still had the mooring attached to it when it went up on the beach. The scope is so short that when swells come in it pulls the boat forward and jerks straight up on the mooring. That one and most of them that I have seen in White Bay are a single point mooring. If that screw pulls out as it did in this case it's game over.

In addition deep draft boats will bounce off the bottom when a swell passes under the boat. This also is not only uncomfortable it's bad for the boat.

Jay