IMO, 50+ year-old me is here to proclaim that, regardless of the destination, solo travel is highly underrated.

After visiting SXM 10+ times as a married man, in February 2023 I was on the island for the third time as a solo traveler.

I don't recall ever saying to somebody, "Hey, do you wanna get lunch?" "Wanna head back to the hotel?" "Whadda ya want for dinner tonight?" "Hey, today, you wanna hit Pinel or Happy Bay?"

You get the point. The main message is that, as a solo person, the trip becomes what you make of it. If you want to be social, you go to where people are, and you strike up conversations with strangers. If you wanna chill solo... you keep to yourself. Your trip, your rules.

In February, during the day I spent a lot of time alone on the beach reading my books. In the evening, I sometimes chilled in my room, alone. And sometimes I went out and was social at bars in restaurants (no nightclubs... too damn old for that). When I went out, sometimes made a friend, sometimes got the cold shoulder. Meh.... no big deal. My life, my rules. I decide when I'm happy.

Regarding "where to go as a single..." Dude, go where you wanna go. Seriously, just go. To places you know. And also try new places. This is YOUR trip.

My message: Don't let your life situation confine you. Go live the life that you wanna live. For me? The life I wanna live involves regular processing in the immigration line at SXM.

I'll see you at your favorite SXM bar. First round is on me.