SIM cards have been used for years to get cell service on the island. They are a small circuit board swapped for the SIM card for your home carrier. Now most phones can use eSIMs which can be downloaded and activated the minute you land.
I had a great experience in Germany with an eSIM from Orange (formerly the French telephone company). It was $29 for two weeks, 5 gig data, phone, text and some long distance for calls back to the States. Purchased online and downloaded in the US I switched it on when landing in Frankfurt. I had a French telephone number which is treated like a local number in most of Europe (unlike St Martin where it is long distance to call across the island).
I couldn't find an eSIM for Sint Maarten with a phone number which limits the phone significantly. What I got was an eSIM from Airalo. Under $10 for 7 days with 1 Gig data only. Price was low enough. Data only allowed me to plot driving directions around the island and check for store closings on Google maps. The biggest disappointment was the constant switching between 4 different carriers interrupting the stream from the internet. Seems it rarely was a carrier with a good signal. It wouldn't get a signal in the B departure area of the airport. Airalo sells separate eSIMs for Dutch and French side. My Dutch side only eSIM also worked in Orient Village and Marigot on the French side.
Has anyone found an eSIM with a phone number and a better carrier?