When we first visited in the very early seventies it was called a departure fee (tax?) and it was $2.00 pp and paid at the little window previously mentioned. Over the years the fee increased - last I recall I think it was $20.00 pp, and they incorporated it into the price of your plane ticket. Pretty much if you didn’t see it, it didn’t happen?

I wasn’t aware of any recent discussion about charging a tourism fee but I’m often not paying close attention these days. I do sincerely believe the island needs to tread lightly with this. People are becoming more and more disenchanted with our beloved island for so many reasons.

Between the nonsense happening with arrivals and departures currently at the airport; the games being paid over the fifteen percent restaurant add-on - is it a sc or is it a tip and what’s the difference?; and now a proposed new tourism tax it’s becoming less and less such an enchanted island. And I’m saying this after fifty consecutive years of visits. The islanders are still the friendliest people I’ve ever encountered in any of our island travels but the island these days? Not so much IMHO.

Last edited by pat; 03/20/2024 11:00 AM.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."