Before comparing Grand Marche to Simply, you should also consider Leader Price, which is closest to Orient. They are great for basic, inexpensive items, and I find lots of enjoyable wines in the 6-9 Euro range. They are opportunistic buyers, so what you buy today, may never be offered again.

Grand Marche offers, IMO, an impressive array of items, some of which are surprising; e.g. Huy Fong's (the Sriracha dude) Chili garlic sauce. Produce looks fresh. Cold cuts and cheeses more American than French.

The strange thing is, the meats we saw in the Cole Bay store looked unfamiliar for the type of cut, with regards to color, shape and texture. I wouldn't buy them. But, the Phillipsburg GM has the old familiar looks to those same cuts. Go figure.

Now, we shop at Simply a lot because their offering of pates, rillets, cheeses and fresh-from-France fish (I only care about the bouchot mussels) is part of the experience for us and unmatched at GM. BTW, don't expect attractive produce at Simply. Some of the stuff is way beyond its shelf life.

So, basically, if you're looking for a more American type items, Grand Marche is the winner. But, if you're trying to capture a more French experience, go to Simply. Because of the difference in kinds of foods we buy at either place, I find it difficult to make a definitive price evaluation between the two.