Michael and I attended the re-opening of Toucan's restaurant tonight. If you haven't tried Toucan's restaurant lately, you haven't tried Toucan's.
I had spoken to the new executive chef, Iwan at the two manager's parties. He told us of this grand opening tonight and we decided to give it a try.
First, the menu is Italian. The menu is small right now but there is something for everyone. I had the strip steak with barolo sauce and Michael had the braised lamb shank on polenta.
We declared both absolutely DELICIOUS! What a difference from the other times we have eaten at Toucan's. My steak was cooked perfectly. The barolo sauce was rich and dark. A perfect accompaniment to the steak. The pommes frites that accompanied the steak were good but I would prefer less truffle oil on mine.
Michael declared his polenta the best he has ever had. And the lamb shank was LOVELY.
The service still needs some ironing out however, it is head and shoulders above previous service we have gotten at the restaurant.
We finished the evening with a hazel nut topped panna cotta and tiramisu. Both desserts were phenomenal.
I hope that Iwan will stay and continue to turn these restaurants around. Based on our experience tonight, this restaurant can EASILY compete with other restaurants on the island. Considering that in a review on TripAdvisor I said I would have to be paid to eat there again, you can imagine the surprise.
What a welcome change! And the prices were VERY REASONABLE! Two glasses of wine, dinner and dessert came to $103....and by the way, there was no 15% added to the bill. WE could choose the correct amount for the tip.