Hello all:

First time posting (lurked for some time without registering.) I have gone through all the posts on this board - very appreciative of all the information. Due to all the advice, I have already booked Kevin for the pick-up at STT - great suggestion.

A group of us will be chartering a CAT in two weeks - 8 that is. The last time we chartered, we were down in late January - had a great time. The crowds were fairly lite, which was nice.

Before I get to my question(s,) allow me to apologize for being wordy. Bad habit I can not seem to break. Why use one word when five will work just as well...

When planning for this trip - six months ago, yours truly, was oblivious to the fact that the entire Eastern Seaboard takes a major holiday the week of President's Day (02/16.) Being a good Chicago boy, how would I have known that - Google would have helped, I am sure. Given the limited inventory showing available for that week, I am anticipating some very crowded anchorages.

The engineer in me - although my wife would claim the anal, OCD in me - requires not only a plan, but a back-up plan with a secondary back-up plan (I am told I have some redeeming qualities that make up for those that are less than redeeming.) This trait when combined with the crowds I anticipate and the fact that I sleep better on a ball - not so much my anchor dragging as the next guys (had that happen and do not wish to experience again) - has resulted in a noticeable increase in the blood pressure (ok, I am exaggerating a bit.)

Below I shall post my planned itinerary - which I will try to be as flexible with as possible. My goal is to make sure my crew has fun (snorkeling, etc,) gets to see a bunch of places (as many will be down in the BVI for the first time,) and secure a ball in the anchorage for the evening.

Basically I have three questions, what are the crowds really like during President's week (perhaps I am spooking myself for no reason;) given my planned anchorage what is a reasonable time to arrive to have a decent chance of picking up a ball for the night; and if no ball is available what should a fall back plan be that is reasonable (I have found the charter companies and the cruising guides to not be as detailed as I would like on anchoring areas and fall back plans - yes, I have the most recent BVI Cruising Guide, which is a great source of information.) As a bonus question, we have a 10' dinghy (according to the specs) for our group of 8 - how reasonable is this (assume all 4 woman of 135#s or less and 4 men of 200#s or less?)

Thanks for reading this far. I do appreciate any advice / thoughts / observations.

The planned circuit starting on Sunday ( assuming we get off at 12pm or a bit earlier: )

Wreck of the Rhone (snorkeling)
Cooper Island (evening)

Baths
Saba Rock/Bitter End (evening)

Anegada (evening)

George Dog (snorkeling)
Trellis Bay / Marina Cay (evening - new moon party)

Great Camaneo (snorkeling)
Cane Garden Bay (evening)

Bubbly Pool / Jost (frockeling)
White Bay (Jost - evening)

The Indians (snorkeling)
Norman Island / The Bight (evening)

Warmly,
MAU2