plequerre said:
Islandgem nailed it! Thanks!

I'll restate it differently but we're completely in agreement.

In a restaurant in France as well as on the French side of SXM, if you don't pay more than the amount of the bill, the waitstaff is still paid a living wage, and this, irrespective of what the bill says.

This is the law in France, period. Waiters, waitresses and bartenders MUST be paid living wages plus benefits by the employer, no ifs, ands or buts.

Now, some restaurants only pay the minimum wage which is around $10/hour and others pay more, sometimes much more, depending on the category of the establishment.

Again, don't forget that these employees also receive Social Security and healthcare benefits, paid partly by the employer too. That's also the law in France.

This being said, if you want to reward your waiter/waitress with a tip, because he/she has done a great job, that's perfectly fine, but consider it a bonus and that's how French waitstaff looks at it too.

I hope this helps.

Please, even though you are (born) French, learn what you are talking about.... Your analyse, thus your comments are patronizing!
The smic (minimal wage is France) that you are talking about is, in 2015, for a contract of 39h per week 1610.57 euros GROSS per month, thus an approximate of 1263.33 euros net monthly, and for 35h (again.. those are allowed working hours only..) it is 1133.77 euros net...
So, plequerre, understanding like you said that it is the French law (the same as in France main land not taking in any account the difference of cost of living) do you thing someone could, or could you, live with 1133.77 euros a month in St Martin? Please don't use a rate exchange to "translate it" in US$, it wouldn't make any sense as again cost of living is not comparable with the US...
I personally think that this whole "the waiter receive a fix salary and benefit from his employer and the government, so no need to tip him or just a bit because everything is included" thing.... is, IMHO, all [censored]!
excuse my French!....
I am curious to see what will become the French side restaurant industry service in the next few years, when worker are not going to make a living out of it. One dying industry implicate people out of work, people out of work increase the risk and potentiality of crime.... cycle!.... I feel it already went down comparing to what it was ... 20 years ago? 15 years ago?