We have been to Orient a number of times. The sense I get from comments on this forum over the years is that what people really miss is well before much development at all occurred. Since Orient has been developed, there is a level of need for keeping up the development. We love the stretch of restaurants whose facilities will be changed. They all have their unique experience and food. However, this past early winter, we had come to the conclusion it was time to improve these facilities. The parking lot was full of holes, most of the time filled with funky water. The seaweed and accompanying smell didn't help and probably magnified the run down, storm damaged facilities these restaurants have occupied.

I suggest, "give this a chance". There are so many day trip cruisers coming to Orient already. With the number of other places on the island that many cruisers go to, my bet is that this small stretch of "improvement" is not going to significantly increase that. For those worried about cruisers walking the beach "south" maybe this will distract them and steer them north instead.

Something positive and something negative will come of this development, it just depends on who you ask. I believe that with all the great things on Orient, this one development will not take away any of those other things as they are today. Long ago, maybe but that is history.

Last, I agree with the concern or hope that whatever the lease is, the current restaurants can all survive, and if not here, then in another location. Orient will continue to be the best.