sail2wind said:
If you have tickets and a boarding pass you will be allowed to board, even 1/2 hour early. Gates close 10 minutes before departure, then your late. Otherwise if you are bumped, the airline must get you a room and a meal voucher. We have never been to STT more then 1 1/2 hour early and never missed a fight.

I, too, have been lucky never having been bumped off a flight from STT during all my years visiting the BVI before I moved here permanently, but just this past January four friends arrived at the airport in St. Thomas on a Sunday (yes, peak season AND a Sunday), 1 hour and 45 minutes before flight time and were told that the flight was full. They had printed boarding passes the day before, but had to check in at the front counter in order to get their checked luggage tags and they were told their seats were "allocated to other passengers" because they did not check in with their luggage 3 hours before! Knowing one of the friends, it must have been quite a scene! He put up enough of a stink that they were rebooked on a connecting flight through Miami and his subsequent scathing letter to the airline resulted in a refund to his credit card of the extra fees plus 5,000 airmiles for each of the four passengers! Again, HIGH season is when this happened!