I know many of you are in hotels and villas, but for those on sailboats... Friday afternoon, around 4pm, we were anchored in Marigot Bay, and someone decided to swim out to our boat, climb on, and then proceeded to try to take the dinghy. We were down below, and when I heard noises, I confronted them, and asked them to get off my boat! They kept saying that they don't want to cause trouble, but NEED to take our dinghy. I said NO, and luckily our dinghy was locked to the transom with chain and lock. After a heated discussion, hejumped in the water, and swam away. I am sure that if the dinghy was not locked up, he would have taken it without us knowing.
I found out later on, that he continued to swim to another boat, and convinced the owner to give him a lift in his dinghy. As they headed towards Sandy Ground in the small boat, the local attacked the boat owner, and attempted to throw him in the water, and take his dinghy.
A boat nearby saw this, and came to the rescue, capturing the thief, and helping the victim.
The thief was tied up and delivered to the dock, where he was detained until the police arrived.

I guess it is getting to the point that you have to lock the tender to your boat, even during the day.

Keep safe, and happy cruising.

Capt. Russell