Hello,
To put it in a word: GO!!!
My wife and I went to South Africa last Oct. Stayed 4 nights in Capetown and went to the wine country, Cape of Good Hope point, Robbin Island (like Alcatraz), etc. Wonderful international tourist destination. You will want to stay in the tourist areas. I suggest somewhere near the V&A Waterfront shopping/restaurant district.

Didn't stay in JoBerg and I feel that was the right move. Our flight crew said they aren't allowed in the city there except at their airport hotel.

Safari- Experience of a lifetime. I think that South Africa near Kruger park gives you the best opportunity to see all the big game of anywhere in Africa. We said hang the cost and stayed at a private game reserve. $750/nite was way over our budget, but never regretted spending a penny of it. Can spend $3000/ a nite as well.

We used Thompsons tours (www. thompsonssa.com) who is the largest tour company in the country. Did a fabulous job taking care of us. Highly recommend them for airport transfers, hotels, tours, etc.

Hope you get to go. Spend a little time looking at climate/rain for when to go. October was great.

Regards,
Gary
Oklahoma City