I think you are going to find comments about your check list from posters here on both ends of the spectrum.

I like it but I'm also obsessive about this sort of thing. My view is that the less experienced you are with the BVI waters the more pre-planning, like the stuff you want to do with your crew, you'll want to do.

I do agree with TomB that things like head familiarization may be best left to the day you board. However, the seamanship skills you list are worth going over so you can get some level of confidence with the 6 of you in handling them well.

Something I learned from a charter in July where I had 3 newbies and hired a licensed Captain to provide another set of hands and local knowledge was that don't be ashamed to take command, review important seamanship routines and drill your crew.

Russell was great in getting me to think through every aspect of planning the days route to include chart study and anchorage entry over a cup off coffee still at the anchorage or dock, things to do to ready the boat to leave the dock or anchorage and giving clear commands to your crew that include specific instruction on how to, for example, raise the main, unfurl the jib, tack and jibe.

He pointed out that newbies don't really know how and in what order to let of dock lines, take wraps on a winch and set it up to self tail. You can't just say lets go or let's launch the head sail ...... they won't know how to do that on the specific boat you're on until you teach them.

Also, before docking or picking up a ball, for example, give clear instructions on what you are going to do and what you want specific crew to do before you do it. Go slow and let the steps for a procedure unfold that way. You, as Captain, will have to notice potential problems before they happen and direct correction. Lets say, you notice the guy on the bow has the bow line that's going to be run through the mooring ball rigged over the stanchion/life lines instead of under it. You have to see that BEFORE it is a problem and correct it.

There will be some that catch on really quickly and some that won't - the watchers and doers - and, yeah, no yelling. A good Captain NEVER raises his voice. He's so far ahead of the game he doesn't have to.