Background: Continuation of trip aboard Big Papa Lulu in the Spanish Virgin islands, Aug 3-16.

After a lot of pussyfooting around, it was determined that I was the only one who wanted to scuba dive on day 7. I needed to get my second two dives in, so the crew said to go ahead, and they would rent a car and tour Culebra.

So we all went ashore about 10am and the crew went to rent a car and I went back to Aquatic Adventures.

This time is was just me and Taz, so things went pretty fast! Dive 1 was at Horseshoe Reef off Louis Pina Island. After reviewing a couple of required dive skills we went exploring and found a huge Hog Snapper, two 5-inch shells from a naval bombardment (no touch!), and some lobsters. We had lunch, and dive #2 was was again near "The Wall" at Carlos Rosario. Here I practices an "out of air" controlled emergency swimming ascent (or CESA) which was a swim slowly and in a controlled manner up the anchor line from the bottom in about 30-feet of water. Since I can snorkel down to 30 feet, this was not much of a test and I passed with flying colors. This was the last test and means I am a certified diver, and I'm quite proud that after 30 years I finally "got 'er done!"

Here are a few pics...

Me and Taz on a very empty dive boat
[Linked Image]

Scuba selfie
[Linked Image]

Massive Hog Snapper
[Linked Image]

Nicely arranged coral
[Linked Image]

After a quick run back in there was just enough time for a celebratory Heineken at the Dingy Dock waiting for the crew to arrive.

[Linked Image]

Then we drove the rental car around some more, hitting a few other beaches. Here's one on the north east side of the island with a view of the northern islands. Zoni beach, I think.

[Linked Image]

We timed our driving to arrive at Playa Tamarindo for some mellow beach combing and sunset. Here we were treated with a beautiful sunset and a rare spectacle - THE GREEN FLASH. I've spent probably between 500 and 1000 days at sea and have only seen the green flash 3 times. This makes 4. What a treat! What's even more amazing is that Jim Fairman, one of our crew, caught it on film. I've never seen anyone catch it on film before.

Bayo Tamarindo Sunset
[Linked Image]

I'll leave you with the Green Flash
[Linked Image]