I went through the same process that you are going through a few months ago. There are pros and cons to both boats. One interesting thing is tthat while the boats look like sister ships they were designed by two different designers. The hull design and shapes are very different. Simonis who designed the 4800 and also the Voyage line is noted to be more performance oriented.
I am not sure about the comment on the 444 sailing closer to the wind. It's generally not highly thought of in that regard. I believe the seat you mention switches on both boats. Access in and out of the front cockpit is much better on the 4800 with the steps and it has a nice navigation station oriented forward. The 444 has no nav station.
Both boats have basic electrical systems that will need to be modified if you decide to keep the boat out of charter. The 4800 has bigger main engines and generator. Both have identical fuel and water. 206 gallons on water and 185 gallons in fuel.
Neither boat is intercoastal capable with the mast height which can impact resale. The 444 is offered with a short rig that is legal but surprisingly the Moorings orders them with the tall rig. There is a large price difference between the boats. The 444 is a real bargain given the space on the boat relative to almost everything else out there. Both boats are built like tanks however that shows up in displacement.
I will PM you with more info.
I would also not discount Dream Yacht Charters who offer programs like the Moorings. You can order a boat with them a little closer to how a owner would spec a boat.

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 09/15/2015 08:26 AM.