Kate - hope you do a trip report. FYI, Martinique has the lowest murder rate in the Caribbean.

Our daughter did a semester in college on Martinique, as she majored in French. She loved it there (mid 1990s).

One of my best friends was stationed there when he was in the French army and of course loved it. He is an expert at making Ti Punch which is my favorite mixed drink in the world using Agricole Rhum from Martinique. That is easily my favorite Rum anywhere. You mentioned Clement - I've had at least a dozen bottles of it, but ALL of the Agricole rhums are GREAT - and I mean GREAT.

I've driven most of France, and did not have much of an issue, even in Paris, so I imagine Martinique will be OK.

Guess you know this, but be sure to have at least one credit card with 0% foreign transaction fees and better to have more than one. The chip & password card seems to be impossible to get in the US at this point, as all of ours are chip & sign. At least make sure your credit cards have a chip.

As said earlier, please do a trip report. I know you're trip will be short, but something is better than nothing.