boucharda said:
You should also add that in France 99% of the protests, marches, blockages and strikes are announced well in advance so that everyone can plan around them. I knew weeks in advance that Air France was planning a strike while I was in Carcassonne...When I was in Paris I knew days in advance that the cabs were going to do a blockade of the roads leading to and from CDG

As far as I know that did not happen in ST. Martin and this makes a BIG difference

I'm sorry but it WAS announced and everyone knew about it including the cruise ship lines. How do you think they get participants in the protest if there is no announcement of the plan! Just because you didn't know about it does not mean the local population didn't know.

I was also affected by the Air France strike the Sept before last and there was no mention of it in the local NY news. I did my due diligence checking in on my flight arrangements before printing my boarding pass. I'm sure people in France knew about it. I was delayed a day and had to rebook with Lufthansa through Munich and then to Paris and coming back from Paris, because I saw in the news that the strike was continuing, I had to stay 2 extra days at my own expense. But as it typical in France, Air France reimbursed me for 759 Euros per person for my trouble without even asking!