Mojito's are almost an art, finding a good one at a bar is usually expensive and the bar tender has to put in more than a fair amount of time into the cocktail. With that said hosting a party and offering Mojito's could almost be a full time job alone so I created a short cut to a top notch drink.

Need: Limes, crushed ice, white/silver rum, mint leaves, simple syrup & club soda. I used more expensive rum on my first couple of batches but went with Barcardi (suggested by a mentor bartender friend) this last batch. Note that items like limes and mint leaves vary from batch to batch so adjusting is needed.

Like the Julep, I created a mint infused rum.
I took about 45 mint leaves and rinsed them and put them into a small bowl and covered with 3 oz of rum. After a solid 15 plus minutes I pull the mint leaves out leaving as much as the rum as possible in the bowl. I then add back the mint wringing it with my fingers in small amounts and then drop the wrung out mint leaves back into the bowl. I then let the mint set for another length of time before I again pull and wring and put back in. Let it set some more stirring now and then. This took about an hour on the last batch. Remove the mint leaves and you have your infused rum.

In a bowl, I have come up with a mixture of 2 cups of rum to 1 & 1/4 cups of simple syrup. Mix until the syrup dissolves. I then add 3 tablespoons of the infused rum to the mix and then put into a bottle for the finished mix.

For the final cocktail-
I fill a glass about 2/3 full of ice.
Add about 3/4 oz of fresh squeezed lime juice.
Add about 3 oz of finished mix.
Add about 3 fresh mint leaves.
Mix rapidly to cool down glass and contents.
Add about 3 oz of club soda and give a light mix. If you mix to much you completely lose the zip of the soda.

Add a straw, you are good to go.

I make my own soda using a Soda Stream, which I mainly have because I make my own tonic. This soda has a bit more zip to it which I like and last longer. If you are using bottled soda just remember it has a short life, once opened use that night or throw out.

Also, of course when I am on SXM I get my liquor from Gulmohar's, the best liquor for the best Cocktails! Just had to throw that in! lol

I hope you enjoy,
Todd

I prefer the Isle seat