I stayed at Mt. Vernon last year, and thought there were pluses and minuses. The facility was originally a hotel, and while many owners have renovated the interior of their units, they are still quite small by typical VRBO condo standards- room enough for a bed, small sitting area, and a cooktop and fridge. While some claim in their listing on VBRO that they are one bedroom, the one I stayed at, and photos I looked at of the others, were just a studio, no separate bedroom with a door. There was a sliding vertical security door to the balcony ( it was powered and opened like a garage door ) which meant that if I wanted to get up early and sit on the balcony, I was going to wake my wife. I was pretty disappointed when we first arrived by the exterior, there was rotten wood, peeling paint, animal waste, and dead grass and throughout the grounds, and a few abandoned cars in the parking lot. On the other hand, the interior of our room was quite nice, and the view from the balcony was very good. The pool was much nicer than I expected. The main reason we chose Mt. Vernon was we wanted to be in the Orient area, with a view of the beach and be able to be right on the beach, and walking distance from restaurants and we didn't find other options that met those items. The property is quite hilly, and since we rarely walk at home, we found that walking to dinner and back was quite a journey, and only did that once, other times we drove either to Orient Village, or Grand Case, which is very close. The road in was horrible, though I hear sections have been replaced. The walk to the pool and the near section of the beach was easy, though that will depend on how high up you are on the property. There is a small section of beach right in front of Mt. Vernon that is not private, but is rarely used by others - most beach goers stay to the right side near the restaurants and vendors, so if you want space to spread out, that is nice.
Overall, Orient is a great place to stay, the views are nice, the restaurants at Grand Case are 10 minutes by car, if you want a busy beach, it is not a long walk, and a pool and quiet beach are a short walk. I think Mt. Vernon is a good value, but if you are accustomed to staying at hotels, the grounds and exterior will be disconcerting. For me, I will continue to look for other options in Orient, because I would like a true one bedroom, with a separate living area, but have not yet found one that had both a view of the beach, and a short walk to the beach.