"To do the procedure as I understand it is, clear into BVI on Friday, get the boat. Clear out of the BVI on Saturday and clear into USVI at Cruz Bay. Spend time on St John and then all 6 of us clear into BVI when we return and then clear out again when we leave at the end of the charter."

Just to be clear:

The paperwork for clearing in and out of the BVI and USVI when arriving or departing on a ferry is different than the paperwork when arriving or departing via charter vessel.

Depart St Thomas via ferry ( no clearing required)
Arrive BVI via ferry (entire party completes Immigration Arrival & Departure Card, Head of Household completes HM Customs BVI
Declaration, pay some tax)
Depart BVI via Charter Boat (Captain Only - Clears out of BVI, pay a variable tax)
Arrive USVI via Charter Boat (entire party - Clears into USVI)
Depart USVI via charter boat ( no clearing out required, just a hearty wave will do)
Arrive BVI via Charter Boat ( Captain Only- Clears into BVI, others must remain on charter boat, big fine$ if they go to bar or gift shop)
Depart BVI via Ferry (Present passport, pay departure tax, return back side of Departure card)
Arrive USVI via Ferry- (Head of Household Completes US Customs Declaration)

I have some of the forms on my web page for reference. Scroll to the bottom of that page.

Whew! Someone please buy me a beer!

Best to have a few days rest between some of these steps.

Good luck,

Tony