My oops, I just posted the 3.5 cup sugar / splenda change for this recipe, when the posted recipe only uses 1 cup of sugar.

This is the recipe I had copied previously on my computer.

2 vanilla beans, split in half
3 coarslely cracked black peppercorns
2 C water
4 1/2 C sugar
4 bananas, peeled and cut into four pieces (lengthwise so they fit in the bottle)
1 pinch of salt
2 (750 ml) bottles white rum
1 (750 ml) bottle dark rum

Scrape the vanilla bean to release the seeds. In a large pot mix the vanilla bean pods, seeds, peppercorns, salt, water and sugar together. Bring to a boil on medium high heat until sugar syrup is thick. Add the banana and remove from the heat. When the banana syrup is cool, add the rum. Stir well to incorporate the syrup and the rum. Wash your storage bottles well and make sure they are dry. Place pieces of fruit and spices in each bottle and top with the flavored rum. Screw cap back and store until needed.

Drink the rum at room temperature in a small shot, and don't eat the fruit, it tastes awful.

The comments -- one reader changed the recipe to use 5 vanilla beans, 6 coarsely cracked peppercorns (tap with meat tenderizer to crack), 3 1/3 cup water, and 3 1/2 sugar / splenda blend. Everything else the same as recipe posted above.