Here's a link to my trip report from when I took those classes with Rob Swain Sailing School in 2013.

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=bvi&Number=1516302

If you've been bareboating then some of the material will be familiar in both classes. There is some overlap between the two classes as well. The Coastal Cruising class will have some bigger boat sailing content, chart reading and navigation with dead reckoning. The Bareboating class emphasizes systems, the kinds of things you do with your daily engine check, managing batteries, etc.

Make certain you check your spares and flare/fire extinguisher dates before you leave the dock. Double check the part numbers for all spares to make certain they are for your engine and boat. We left dock with the wrong alternator belt. Sure enough we had to change that part in North Sound and we had to send to Tortola for the proper part.

My instructor was Barton and he was great. Since I took the class in January 2013 I've bought a boat with home port in St. Thomas and sailed over 20 weeks. Its a splendid addiction.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada