Day 6

We were up early again and underway fairly early as well. We motored out of North Sound, turned into the wind, and raised the sails. All went smoothly. Our original plan was to stop off at Salt and snorkel the Wreck of the Rhone. We would then head for Soper's for an evening out of the wind. The wind was picking up as we sailed and it was my least favorite kind of sailing - downwind with following seas. By the time we had made it to Cooper, the winds were really picking up. We decided to change plans and duck into Cooper for a second night, and snorkel the Rhone the next morning. We had thought that Cooper would have been more protected from the winds, and at first it seemed that it was. DH and DS11 went ashore for some Kadima and time on the beach. DS14 and I stayed on the boat to read.

Around cocktail hour, a Moorings cat pulled into the harbor and dropped anchor in between two occupied moorings in front of us. It turns out that it was a captained charter and they were just dropping off the family for a quick stop on the island. While the family was ashore, my husband noticed the cat was getting closer. He called out to the captain who had to raise anchor and pull forward and reset. Thankfully they did not attempt to spend the night there or they would have dragged into us for sure.

The rest of the evening was uneventful - we went ashore for dinner and then back to the boat for our usual nightcap.

Overnight that night, the winds really picked up and there were several really strong gusts. I wondered if we wouldn't have been better off at Soper's after all.

Fortunately we were still attached to the mooring in the morning!