Member Spotlight
ChuckG
ChuckG
PA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
paradissatravel, SXMCONNECTION
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (BillB42, SXMScubaman, knitsoftwear, CaribbeanCanadians, Beansbbq, TravelHat, richard4th, OceanSong, foreversxm, marybeth, Jerry_R, charlie, MikeMc, Matt W, isleofpalms, jagmansr, NumberCruncher, Flotsam, LINNY, KirkB, cbinparadise, pasnyder, dolfer, MrEZgoin, SXMNAN, Rbailey, marisol, Fletch, davidandsusannj, Shermar, 9 invisible), 980 guests, and 160 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Easter Weekend - Car Rental #122630
03/02/2017 07:21 PM
03/02/2017 07:21 PM
D
dkenny Offline OP
Traveler
dkenny  Offline OP
Traveler
D
Hello everyone. I just joined after following for a long time. After many trips from 1995 to 2005, life caught up (work and having small kids) and we only made it to the BVI once since 2005 before our trip last April with my wife, daughter (11) and son (8). With the growth of the charter business (I only remember a few cats and no power cats) things have certainly changed. The information and the advice on this forum helped make our trip great. I can only say thank you and I hope to contribute in the future to help others.

We are coming back again this year and I am hoping to get some helpful information on Easter Weekend. We fly into STT on Saturday (5:50pm arrival). We are chartering with the Moorings starting with a sleep aboard on Monday night giving us two full days before our charter. Since we will miss the last ferry, my plan is to get a room at Beachcomber (TTOL feedback) for Saturday night, take the first ferry on Sunday morning to Tortola and rent a car for two days to drive around/explore Tortola staying at Maria’s on Sunday night (TTOL feedback).

From everything I have read it sounds like a lot of places shut down for the holiday weekend (Sunday and Monday). I was able to confirm the ferries will run on Sunday and Riteway will be open on Monday. The most important question is the ability to get a car rental on Easter Sunday. My preference is to pick up a rental near the ferry dock to avoid loading kids in taxi, etc. I’m flexible to take the ferry into West End or Road Town to pick up a car, but want to be able to return the car in Road Town Monday night or early Tuesday. Any ideas on the availability of rentals on Easter Sunday morning? Suggestions on who to rent from? How do I coordinate time for pick-up on a holiday when the ferry schedule is unpredictable? I am also open to any other feedback on my plans for Saturday night through Monday.

Since I did not write a trip report, I wanted to share a few of the many example where TTOL really helped last year: relaxing with a cocktail while watching other boats race towards the last mooring ball at Cooper because I knew to get there early (a scene that repeated itself three times in one day with boats finally chasing dinghies from the dock to their boat to see if they were leaving); contacting Nick at Leverick for a slip, renting a car to explore Virgin Gorda (definitely the way to go) and enjoying the Friday night barbecue; and knowing to avoid the chaos of White Bay with an early morning dinghy ride from Great Harbour and back before 12pm (my first trip in January 1995 there was no power on that half of Jost and we were the only boat in the bay for the entire day. . . not anymore.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Easter Weekend - Car Rental [Re: dkenny] #122631
03/03/2017 09:05 AM
03/03/2017 09:05 AM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
For two days of Tortola exploring I would not stay in Roadtown. Think about Cane Garden Bay (Agape are sponsors here)..or Apple Bay ( Sebastian's will do two nights). I would check Emerald Beach for rates..nicer than the Beachcomber and sometimes reasonably priced. If you stay at the Beachcomber you can pop next door to the Emerald for bar and restaurant. I would splurge for dinner in St Thomas at " Oceana" on the point in French Town..outstanding..

Re: Easter Weekend - Car Rental [Re: dkenny] #122632
03/03/2017 09:20 AM
03/03/2017 09:20 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Regarding the car question, I would just contact a couple of car rental guys directly. No one here can tell you what their policies will be, especially on a big holiday like that. Jerry's is a TTOL sponsor, so you could consider using them to thank them for their sponsorship here.

I agree with Mal though, don't stay in Roadtown. Cane Garden would be a much better choice, or Seb's, although I'm wondering whether it's a bit late to get reservations. There may not be much available at this late date!

Carol Hill
Re: Easter Weekend - Car Rental [Re: Carol_Hill] #122633
03/03/2017 11:17 AM
03/03/2017 11:17 AM
Petoskey, MI
CottageGirl Offline
Traveler
CottageGirl  Offline
Traveler
Petoskey, MI
dkenny, we're in the "same boat" - sort of :-)
We arrive on STT Sat 4/15 after the last ferry as well. Staying at Island Beachcomber that night; ferry to Tortola on Sunday (Easter) to stay in CGB at an Airbnb for a few nights before our charter.
I hadn't thought about the ferry schedule on Easter - do they have a special/limited schedule for Easter?
Last trip we rented a car through one of the national chains and the rental agency was inside the lobby at Maria's. However, you need to be specific about what time you're picking up your car. We waited 2 hrs in the lobby for our car to become available because we got there early. A local rental place might be more accomodating.
Or pre-arrange a taxi - we've used AC Taxi service (Arnold is a sponsor here) and he was great. Large, clean, air conditioned van with plenty of room for a family + luggage. Sometimes the taxi is much easier than a rental.

Re: Easter Weekend - Car Rental [Re: CottageGirl] #122634
03/03/2017 05:52 PM
03/03/2017 05:52 PM
D
dkenny Offline OP
Traveler
dkenny  Offline OP
Traveler
D
Thanks for the suggestions.

I will try to coordinate Sebastian's for Sunday night . .they look like they will do the one night. I want to drive around the north side of Tortola anyway spending a little time at a few of the beaches I have never been to. . .unless of course we stop somewhere we like and don't leave all day.

I will also contact Jerry's. Local name that might be more accommodating is a perfect suggestion and what I was looking for. I am also happy to support TTOL sponsors.

Cottagegirl - I called the ferry companies and they all confirmed the ferries will be running on a normal schedule. I will definitely be checking again a couple of days before arriving. I will let you know what I confirm again.

Re: Easter Weekend - Car Rental [Re: dkenny] #122635
03/04/2017 10:12 AM
03/04/2017 10:12 AM
Petoskey, MI
CottageGirl Offline
Traveler
CottageGirl  Offline
Traveler
Petoskey, MI
Sebastian's has a great beach for the kids to play!