|
|
|
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,072
Members27,641
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 1,390
Joined: January 2003
|
|
|
16 members (mahokid, Steve&Rachel, Rumlover, hokiesailor, rglugeth, dcareri, Kennys, Compskier, 2tannedfannies, 7 invisible),
464
guests, and
53
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 38 |
Is it reasonable to dingy over to Salt Island from Cooper at the end of May?
Suzanne
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 150
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 150 |
I've done it several times during May-June period. Mainly depends on weather and sea state.
Allen
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
It's fine to make that trip. If the dinghy motor quit the prevailing wind is going to keep you in the Channel so no safety issues. Keep in mind however it will be slower and bumpier coming back into the wind. G
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 38 |
George and Allen, thanks for your responses. I thought it would be fine but when I was looking at the map (again) this morning, I realized there could be an issue with the channel between the two islands. I didn't want to deal with taking the cat back and forth so the dingy would be perfect.
Suzanne
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959 Likes: 9
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959 Likes: 9 |
I paddleboard from Cooper to Salt frequently. Just keep an eye on conditions.
M4200 MANTA
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 119
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 119 |
We have done it may times. Just pay attention to the weather, the trip back can be a little wet depending on the dingy you have. We always take a cooler with plenty of drinks and we also take a handheld vhf radio. It is always fun to explore around on salt.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,025
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,025 |
Do it all the time. First time, first mate wanted coffee before we went. I told her she could get coffee on Salt  Another time we started over with a friend in moderate seas. bout a quarter of the way there, we learned about his back surgery, pins, etc I tend to not go if I see white caps on the waves. then I just take the big boat.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
It's a long ride back if the wind is over 15 knots. G
|
|
|
|
|
|
|