Member Spotlight
joe9090
joe9090
new jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
26 registered members (cbf, jphart, SXMBND, Pitt1, Reid, Kennys, Travel Talker, Kevin_B, BillDauterive, George1234, RatmansWife, KirkB, MikeMc, Manpot, WWII, extreme, CJIMI, marybeth, ChiTownHarry, bostonbob, 6 invisible), 946 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Best Snorkeling Sites Poll #1400
09/01/2002 03:19 PM
09/01/2002 03:19 PM
Wilmington, NC
plholsten Offline OP
Traveler
plholsten  Offline OP
Traveler
Wilmington, NC
Hi all,<br>I'd love to know everyone's thoughts on the Best Snorkeling sites (from a boat) in the BVIs (or even the USVIs). We (and usually our guests) really love to see marine life like turtles, eagle rays (our favorite...but very elusive to us), tarpons, or anything unusual. We "think" we have snorkeled just about all the good sites... but my bet is we haven't!! We are going again the end of September, weather permitting. I would appreciate it if you folks posted your favorite snorkel sites and why?<br>Thanks so much!<br>Pat

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1401
09/01/2002 05:17 PM
09/01/2002 05:17 PM
Louisville, KY
BJG Offline
Traveler
BJG  Offline
Traveler
Louisville, KY
Pat,<br><br>We just returned (as you already know) from a 10 day charter with TWY. We spent 3 days on St. John which had, at least to us, the best snorkel spots. They were: Waterlemon Cay, Cinnamon Cay, Henley Cay (one of the Durloe Cays), and Trunk Bay.<br><br>In the BVI we found a very good assortment of fish at Cistern Rock, the Caves, and Monkey Point. At the Baths there were more snorkelers than fish. Someone forgot to tell the fish to show up !!!<br><br>BJG

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: BJG] #1402
09/01/2002 05:22 PM
09/01/2002 05:22 PM
Wilmington, NC
plholsten Offline OP
Traveler
plholsten  Offline OP
Traveler
Wilmington, NC
Hi again! Thanks for responding. We often like to anchor in Francis (Mayo?) Bay in St. Johns but have never really done any snorkeling there. Where did you enjoy the most? We are really anxious to find a few new places! We usually snorkel 3-4 times a day! (believe it or not) It is a favorite thing to do, especially when the winds are either too light or blowing like heck.<br>FYI, Last time we were in the BVIs we enjoyed the snorkeling at Mountain Point. We even anchored there for the night and it was lovely. The sunset over the Seal Dogs was incredible.<br>Pat

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1403
09/01/2002 08:10 PM
09/01/2002 08:10 PM
Louisville, KY
BJG Offline
Traveler
BJG  Offline
Traveler
Louisville, KY
My picks were pretty much in preference order. I seem to have omitted George Dog which was quite good. The best for me was Waterlemon Cay in Leinster Bay. Unspoiled corals, and LOTS of fish, big and small. <br><br>BJG

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1404
09/01/2002 09:48 PM
09/01/2002 09:48 PM
St. Thomas, USVI
Nutmeg Offline
Traveler
Nutmeg  Offline
Traveler
St. Thomas, USVI
Snorkeling 3-4 times a day, huh? How are those gills coming along?[Linked Image] I, too enjoy snorkeling...USVI: Leinster Bay (all over- different environments), Lameshur and night snorkeling the night after the full moon at Secret Harbour. BVI: Sandy Spit, Monkey Point and White Bay, Peter Island (swam with an Eagle Ray for a long time...) Do you scuba? Tunnels and Arches at Thatch and Carvel Rock USVI . Watson Rock and Alice's Wonderland Ginger I BVI. That's my list today, could change tomorrow![Linked Image]

[color:"red"]NUTMEG[/color]
Today is the tomorrow you talked about yesterday.
Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: Nutmeg] #1405
09/02/2002 06:46 AM
09/02/2002 06:46 AM
Wilmington, NC
plholsten Offline OP
Traveler
plholsten  Offline OP
Traveler
Wilmington, NC
Thanks! Yep...wish I did have gills! [Linked Image] And, yes, my husband and I are both advanced PADI certified. It just seems that our guests aboard never are! So we usually just resort to a lot of snorkeling. The several times we have tried to dive Ginger, it was blowing so hard that the people left aboard were miserable. But, I understand that in September, the winds are lighter. We have never done any diving in the USVIs so thanks for the info on Thatch and Carvel.<br><br>I'm excited to hear about White Bay, Peter Island. We usually spend a night at Benures on Norman which is just across from there...White Bay might be a really nice change. And it might be nice to go to the "other" side of St. Johns and snorkel Leinster and Lameshur.Thanks again for the tip.<br><br>Where is Secret Harbour? That's a new one to me.<br><br>Thanks!<br>Pat

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1406
09/02/2002 08:03 AM
09/02/2002 08:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pat, how was the experience clearing in and out of BVI and USVI customs. Any problems or recommendations to make it go smoother?

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1407
09/02/2002 10:06 AM
09/02/2002 10:06 AM
Augusta, Georgia
BillH Offline
Traveler
BillH  Offline
Traveler
Augusta, Georgia
I picked up a great little book about 6 years ago. The Guide to Diving and Snorkeling in the British Virgin Islands.. by Jeff Williams. It's published by DIVEntures Publishing, PO Box 115, Hopkinton, MA 01748. There's no isbn #.<br>My favorite in there is Bronco Billy at the northwest tip of George Dog. Most of it is about 30' with a small area of 45' and makes for good snorkeling and a wonderful dive site for great visibility and light.We also liked Diamond Reef just off Great Camanoe, especially more up toward the Scrub Is. cut away from the service dock on Camanoe.

Bill Hartzman
706-495-1435
Email]billhartzman@gmail.com[/Email]
Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll #1408
09/02/2002 11:13 AM
09/02/2002 11:13 AM
Louisville, KY
BJG Offline
Traveler
BJG  Offline
Traveler
Louisville, KY
I'll jump in on this one.....<br><br>We cleared out of the BVI at Sopers Hole. There's a dinghy dock just to the right of the ferry dock. Leave the big boat on a mooring. We needed the boat papers (your charter co. can show you where they are) and our passports. You then have to fill out a form, which takes about 5 min. and present it to the officer. There's a $1.00 fee. We sailed to Lind Pt. on St. John, picked up a mooring and took the dinghy around to Cruz Bay. Here you need the paper you just received from the BVI. Another quick form and you're on your way. Our only problem here was that we ended up behind a ferry from Tortola. All of the passengers on that boat had to clear before they could clear the next boat. So, it took about 45 min. on line, and 2 min. of paperwork. There was no charge. We told the officer that we would be in the USVI for less than 72 hours. This enabled us to clear in and out in one stop. We spent 3 days on St. John and then went back to Sopers Hole. Another 5 minutes of paperwork and a Customs charge of $15 plus an immigration charge of $16. Both of these charges were slightly higher than normal because we were there on a Sunday, which is an overtime day. All in all, a pretty painless experience. You should check with your charter company beforehand to see if you have their permission to leave the BVI. Some companies allow it and some don't. It is recommended that you look presentable, not like you just walked off the beach in your bathing suit. A "Good morning" to the officer doesn't hurt a bit either. <br><br>BJG

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: Nutmeg] #1409
09/02/2002 12:10 PM
09/02/2002 12:10 PM
South Florida
Roguewarrior2 Offline
Traveler
Roguewarrior2  Offline
Traveler
South Florida
I agree with Nutmeg's assesment of the diving and snorkeling sites in the US and British Virgin Islands. The Tunnels and Arches of Thatch Cay is probably one of the best dive sites anywhere[Linked Image]. Here is an excerpt from a recent Skin Diver magazine article listing Chris Sawyers favorite 5 dive sites:<br><blockquote><hr>If Chris had to stack one USVI site up against any others in the world, it would be the Arches and Tunnels at Thatch. This is a great one for divers who like to explore unusual places. The twists and turns will test your sense of direction and the underwater scenery is superb. The site begins in a narrow canyon, squeezes past a giant boulder, dips and climbs through a small gap formed by another boulder, then enters a long swim-through that angles to the left and exits on the other side of the point. A school of Copper Sweepers nervously patrols the inside of the cavern, parting like smoke around the divers. Tarpon and Silversides are also thick on this dive, particularly in the summer. Swimming around the point brings you to a second canyon, this time ending in a closed cavern coated with sponges and soft corals. Not far from the cavern is another narrow swim-through, leading back to the first canyon. Depths along the way are from 30 to 45 feet, allowing for plenty of bottom time.<br><hr></blockquote><br><br>About 20 years ago I operated a dive boat out of Pineapple Beach Hotel (now the Renassance Hotel). The Tunnels and Arches were a favorite site as was Caraval Rock. Only problem with the Tunnels and Arches was that you could not dive it if there was any swell at all because of the surge through the tunnels. You could experiance what it would be like getting flushed down the toilet it there was any surge at all.[Linked Image]<br><br>DIVING GUIDE to the VIRGIN ISLANDS by GLANVILLE/JENIK probably published more than 20 years ago includes 44 maps for various dive sites in the US & British Virgin Islands. I have found the maps to be fairly accurate for sketches and would recommend it to anybody that will be doing any diving on their own in the Virgin Islands.<br><br>Gary Kilbride

Gary Kilbride
Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1410
09/02/2002 12:26 PM
09/02/2002 12:26 PM
CO mountains, AZ desert
BVICaptn Offline
Traveler
BVICaptn  Offline
Traveler
CO mountains, AZ desert
I didn't see anyone list The Indians as a great dive/snorkel site. While it may be crowded at times, I've always found plenty of fish and the coral is beautiful. Don't miss this one.

Capt'n Bob
CO/AZ
Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: BillH] #1411
09/02/2002 02:54 PM
09/02/2002 02:54 PM
Wilmington, NC
plholsten Offline OP
Traveler
plholsten  Offline OP
Traveler
Wilmington, NC
Bill, <br>I've heard about Diamond Reef off Camanoe but have never really been sure where it is. Is it on the Marina Cay side of the cut?<br><br>On our last visit, we snorkeled Mountain Point for the first time. We were really amazed how much we enjoyed it and plan to go back there this time. BUT...I must say, that off all the sites so far...I enjoy the Indians (on a good day) and the Dogs the best. Last time at the Indians, we were moored way over on the left side in the shallower water...and when we jumped off the boat there was an inquisitive turtle right under the boat! It was great fun!<br><br>Only once have I seen an eagle ray and that, believe it or not, was at White Bay on Jost Van Dyke...right out in the middle of all that sand and shallow water (and IDIOTS with anchors) the little guy was just feeding away off the bottom and didn't seem to care a bit that I was hovering about 7 feet above him.<br><br>I like the ideas here...especially perhaps the ones in the USVIs...since we rarely go over there.<br><br>Thanks.<br>Pat

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1412
09/02/2002 03:28 PM
09/02/2002 03:28 PM
Augusta, Georgia
BillH Offline
Traveler
BillH  Offline
Traveler
Augusta, Georgia
Pat,<br>Diamond Reef is just off the beach of Camanoe right at Marina Cay. If you were moored at the balls furthest from Marina Cay, you could swim over there but there's always that danger of boat traffic coming through the cut heading south. Since Camanoe is private, there's always that chance<br>that someone will deter you from beaching your dinghy there but we've never had a problem if we stayed well away from the service dock there and beached it a bit more north of there.

Bill Hartzman
706-495-1435
Email]billhartzman@gmail.com[/Email]
Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1413
09/02/2002 03:43 PM
09/02/2002 03:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Smuggler's cove on West end Tortola. Quiet, private, turtles, and usual colorful reef fish. Sandy Cay - snorkel around this small island and you will see a large variety of specimens due to changes in dept of water, particulary on the deep east end. Most rays we ever saw was Deadman's Bay on Peter Island. We anchored out and swam in. Saw tiger sharks and black tip sharks in Anegada at Pomato Point, fortunately small ones about 3-4 feet long. Turtles in Savannah Bay and Mountain Trunk Bay, both on Virgin Gorda. Extensive variety of sea ceatures on reef north of Prickly Pear, I believe it's called Eustatia Reef.

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: Roguewarrior2] #1414
09/02/2002 04:28 PM
09/02/2002 04:28 PM
St. Thomas, USVI
Nutmeg Offline
Traveler
Nutmeg  Offline
Traveler
St. Thomas, USVI
Gee, thanks Gary![Linked Image] I put Thatch and Carvel on my list because they were the two recent places I have dived (what the heck IS the past tense of dive???[Linked Image]) Not only do you need to do them mainly in the summer, you have to watch the tide changes, too. It was so quiet at the Tunnels that you could just sit and observe- usually you have to kick like heck to prevent crashing into the side...well at least I do... I love the bluebell tunicates there...reminds me of spring time in the hill country!<br><br>I have not seen a guide by Glanville and Jenik, but will be looking for it tomorrow, thanks!<br><br>And, Secret Harbour is on the east end of St Thomas- there is a phenomenon after the full moon (esp in the summer) that has to do with sand worms spawning that is incredible- thousands of glow worms all around!![Linked Image]

[color:"red"]NUTMEG[/color]
Today is the tomorrow you talked about yesterday.
Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: Nutmeg] #1415
09/02/2002 05:13 PM
09/02/2002 05:13 PM
South Florida
Roguewarrior2 Offline
Traveler
Roguewarrior2  Offline
Traveler
South Florida
Nutmeg,<br><br>I am sure that the guide is long out of print, but ABE books has a few.<br><br>Glanville, Gail & Armando Jenik Diving Guide to the u.s. and british virgin islands<br>Hastings New York No pub date Hardbound VG Illustrated ISBN:803815581 . Bookseller Inventory # 031888<br>Price: US$ 7.00 convert currency<br>Presented by About Books, Bloomington, IL, U.S.A. (SEARCH THIS SELLERS INVENTORY) <br>order options <br><br>I dove (I think the past tense of dive)[Linked Image] out of Pineapple Beach for most of 1982, got to know the dive sites in that area pretty good plus did the Rhone once a week.<br>Loads of good dive sites between St. Thomas and St. John and I am sure that Chris Sawyers dive operation does them all.[Linked Image]

Gary Kilbride
Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: Roguewarrior2] #1416
09/02/2002 09:55 PM
09/02/2002 09:55 PM
New Orleans, LA.
WHH Offline
Traveler
WHH  Offline
Traveler
New Orleans, LA.
In regard to "tunnels and arches of Thatch Cay" - would that be Little Thatch or Great Thatch? It sounds like you might be talking a/b the N by NE point of Callwoods Pt???<br>Thanks,<br>Will

Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: WHH] #1417
09/03/2002 05:14 AM
09/03/2002 05:14 AM
South Florida
Roguewarrior2 Offline
Traveler
Roguewarrior2  Offline
Traveler
South Florida
Will,<br><br>It is Thatch Cay north of Coki Pt. on St. Thomas. The Tunnels and Arches are off the NW tip of Thatch Cay.<br><br>Lots of same name islands and cays throughout the Caribbean: there are Buck Islands near Tortola, St. Thomas and St. Croix. Saba Rock in North Sound Virgin Gorda, Saba Island near St. Thomas and the big Saba in the Netherlands Antillies.<br><br><br>Gary Kilbride

Gary Kilbride
Re: Best Snorkeling Sites Poll [Re: plholsten] #1418
09/05/2002 09:33 PM
09/05/2002 09:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i have to agree with waterlemon cay off of st. john. teeming with fish over there! we spent 18 days on st john and never got bored with the snorkeling.

Moderated by  Administrator