pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, camview, luvtotravel, cabokid, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, JeanneB, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, ColoBoater, RonDon, Whale Tail, jazzgal, ohstate, NoelHall, lbksxm, 10 invisible), 984 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica #171268
09/22/2018 07:59 PM
09/22/2018 07:59 PM
ORIENTAL,NC
D
DaveZ Offline OP
Traveler
DaveZ  Offline OP
Traveler
D
ORIENTAL,NC
Ok I know this is off topic here, but clearly this is where all the sailors hang out on TTOL.
Just booked 3 weeks out of Antigua. I'm looking for some sailing itineraries for this area. My thought is a couple of days around Antigua, then down to Guadeloupe then Dominica. On the way back North would like to overnight in Monserrat.
Any itineraries or suggestions greatly appreciated.
David

BVI Sponsors
Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: DaveZ] #171287
09/23/2018 03:27 AM
09/23/2018 03:27 AM
U.K. and Spain
Jeannius Offline
Traveler
Jeannius  Offline
Traveler
U.K. and Spain
I've previously posted on some of your earlier threads, but I'll say it again in case you missed them.

I don't do detailed itineraries so I'll simply give you my opinion of the highlights in that area.

First off, Deshaies on the north west coast of Guadeloupe. Great anchorage, beautiful little town that is the setting for the BBC television series, Death in Paradise. Fortunately there are no where near as many murders there as the BBC would have you believe. Very safe place.

Then down to the south of Guadeloupe to the Isles des Saintes. My favourite place in all the Caribbean. To me it feels like the best bits of the South of France but with better weather.

Then down to Portsmouth at the northern end of Dominica. Anchor off the Purple Turtle and make friends with a boat boy. They are very important on Dominica as there is a fair bit of poverty and associated higher levels of crime. Sign up with a boat boy who'll organise you tours up the river to the site of a movie (the name of which escapes me right now) and will also arrange security for your boat. I can't give a specific name of a boat boy as it is a few years since I've been there and things change. Don't let my warnings about security put you off. Dominica is like most places, mainly safe, but it is only sensible to take precautions.

From Dominica, you have to go to Montserrat as long as your charter company allow it. Wonderful place with quite incredible sights around the volcano. Make sure you approach round the northern side of the island as it really is unpleasant going round the south is there is any volcanic action. I did it once and the sulphur was so strong we had to switch the engines on go into the cabin and fire up the air con. Just impossible to remain on deck.Then we had to spend hours washing down the boat once we were through and anchored.

There are plenty of other good places to go but the above are the 'must see' places in my opinion.

Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: Jeannius] #171292
09/23/2018 06:42 AM
09/23/2018 06:42 AM
ORIENTAL,NC
D
DaveZ Offline OP
Traveler
DaveZ  Offline OP
Traveler
D
ORIENTAL,NC
Thanks Mike,
Yes I must have missed your earlier posts. I will add your comments to my to do list!
David

Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: Jeannius] #171647
09/30/2018 12:49 PM
09/30/2018 12:49 PM
ORIENTAL,NC
D
DaveZ Offline OP
Traveler
DaveZ  Offline OP
Traveler
D
ORIENTAL,NC
Hi Mike,
Quick question about Deshaies. I'm thinking about leaving Falmouth about 7am and at least for my DR calculations thinking 8 hours. Anything I would need to be concerned about getting there a bit late in the day? Thanks for your input

Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: DaveZ] #171653
09/30/2018 03:51 PM
09/30/2018 03:51 PM
Colorado and Sailing the World
Maria_and_Steve Offline
Traveler
Maria_and_Steve  Offline
Traveler
You can arrive at Deshais at any time of the day, even late in the day. You won't find a mooring ball but can anchor further out. We've seen charter boats come in, even after dark unfortunately. The holding in Deshais is NOT good and most moorings are taken by local boats. Again, just anchor further out if you arrive later. C/I at the gift store is open until 7:00 pm most week days.

Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: Maria_and_Steve] #171659
09/30/2018 05:11 PM
09/30/2018 05:11 PM
ORIENTAL,NC
D
DaveZ Offline OP
Traveler
DaveZ  Offline OP
Traveler
D
ORIENTAL,NC
Thanks for the info, it looked like a pretty straightforward entrance but never want to take anything for granted. Are the moorings all private or public and just the locals glom them? Any suggestions coming from Falmouth with better holding or better shot of mooring?
Thanks
D

Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: DaveZ] #171669
10/01/2018 02:16 AM
10/01/2018 02:16 AM
U.K. and Spain
Jeannius Offline
Traveler
Jeannius  Offline
Traveler
U.K. and Spain
DaveZ... Can't say I've had issues with holding at Deshaies but then I did have a good anchor and lots of heavy chain. That didn't do me any good the first time I anchored in Isles des Saintes though as Jeannius moved a long way on one occasion when a squall came through!

Take a look at Noonsite if you haven't seen it before... https://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Guadeloupe_/Deshaies Lots of good info for cruisers.

Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: DaveZ] #171703
10/01/2018 11:39 AM
10/01/2018 11:39 AM
Maria_and_Steve Offline
Traveler
Maria_and_Steve  Offline
Traveler
The moorings are mostly public and put down by the village in Deshais. But local boats tend to take a lot of the moorings. There are still some available every day, depending on the time of day, high or low season, or sometimes the phase of the moon (ha ha). Usually if you get there mid-late morning you have the best shot at a mooring because boats are leaving the anchorage.

Holding in the center of the bay is pretty scoured out from charter boats that have drug through there with little scope. It is best to anchor toward either side of the bay. You will swing 360 degrees and sometimes the winds can be over 30 knots in vicious gusts at any time of the day or night. That is the tricky part. Unfortunately the charter boats aren't used to swinging or putting out a lot of scope so it can become bumper boats a lot of times.

In the Saints you MUST take a mooring. You are not allowed to anchor unless the mooring field is full, then you must anchor well behind the mooring field. The mooring area and anchoring area is patrolled by the authorities who are very helpful. The mooring only restrictions were put in place about 3 years ago. The mooring field will fill up during the winter season. The anchoring area is further out and can be rolly at times. Again, if you get there when boats are leaving you have the best chance to grab a vacant mooring.

Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: Jeannius] #171742
10/01/2018 05:45 PM
10/01/2018 05:45 PM
ORIENTAL,NC
D
DaveZ Offline OP
Traveler
DaveZ  Offline OP
Traveler
D
ORIENTAL,NC
Thanks for the info Mike, Maria and Steve. I don't anticipate getting into Deshaies before mid afternoon, so mooring will probably be out so will look to anchor around the fringes. Looking at the charts there do not appear to be too many good options coming from Antigua. Good to hear about the Saintes as well. There we will be able to get in early and set up with a mooring.
Mike, noonsite is great and I've printed most of what they have.
David

Re: OT- Antigua/Guadeloupe/Dominica [Re: DaveZ] #171751
10/01/2018 08:31 PM
10/01/2018 08:31 PM
Maria_and_Steve Offline
Traveler
Maria_and_Steve  Offline
Traveler
There is an alternative to Deshais. You simply sail further south, to the bay east of Pigeon Island, about an hour south of Deshais. There is no C/I there so you have to yellow flag it and sail to the Saints the next day and clear in there.

I always like to have a backup plan smile