Member Spotlight
Aries4
Aries4
Morrisville, PA/West End, Tortola
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (kaba, SURICK, Michel_Benarrosh, Kennys, tradewinds, JeanneB, steve74, SacoFrank, blooming, SXMScubaman, RonDon, eightzerobits, bailau, WCHam, Kevin_B, KirkB, Lucky13, LINNY, CaribbeanCanadians, GaryC, Swifty, pandpfromcanada, cbf, seeitall, RickinAtlanta, Time Will Tell, 10 invisible), 997 guests, and 60 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Grenadines Charter 2018 Part 3 #172379
10/11/2018 10:50 AM
10/11/2018 10:50 AM
S
Sunset_Sammy Offline OP
Traveler
Sunset_Sammy  Offline OP
Traveler
S
[color:#000000]Monday April 2, 2018 A Tour of Bequia and a WARC Pig Roast Party
I went to shore early to get some work done using the wifi at the Gingerbread while Dan and Em had their morning run. They make a good cup of coffee and have some very nice pastries too. A lot of the racers were there early getting their caffeine fix and a quick breakfast before heading out to the course.
The rest of the crew came ashore and we decided to take a taxi tour of the island. There was a clipper type cruise ship anchored off the bay and when I first inquired about a price for a tour the driver wanted $12 an hour per person. I then told him we weren’t off the ship and asked what the yachtie price was, $60 for 2 hours for the 6 of us, not a bad deal. I’ve done this tour a couple times and it’s nice, they take you to Fort Hamilton, the turtle sanctuary, back side of the island, the area near the airport; plenty of opportunities for great photos of the harbor and nearby islands.

[Linked Image]
The harbor at Port Elizabeth

We stopped at the fishermen’s co-op, the boats were all ashore as it was a holiday, but nice to know of another place to get fresh fish and lobster besides the small fish market in Port Elizabeth.

[Linked Image]
The fishing fleet on the hard for the holiday

The driver dropped us off at the Bequia Beach Hotel on Friendship Bay as requested and we arranged to be picked up there later in the day.
The grounds at the hotel are very nice, the drinks not overly expensive and the bar is right on the beach. We took a walk along the beach and came across a church picnic, they offered us some of the food they were preparing, but we had a big dinner planned for later so thanked them and continues strolling. The water off the beach was warm and I enjoyed a nice long soak.

[Linked Image]
Friendship Bay in front of the Bequia Beach Hotel

One of the WARC boats spends a lot of time in Bequia and regards it as their second home. They organized a pig roast at Papa’s Bar which is located on the water in Port Elizabeth. This was the first time since joining Skyelark that all the crews had gotten together. It was nice to meet the other crews and see Gary, who was on Skyelark when she left St. Lucia last January; we met briefly for drinks onboard prior to them leaving. He had booked 9 months on Skyelark and when his charter was up one of the other boats had lost a crew member (not overboard) so they asked him to join them for the remainder of the rally. He was pretty much adopted by the fleet, as he will be sailing up to Antigua with another boat and then joining Tulla Mhor for the passage back to the UK.
The pig was cooked in what they call the “China Box” popular in Cuba; the pig is placed in a tin lined wooden box and the fire is build on top of it. The skin didn’t get as crispy as it would on a spit but the meat was very succulent. I of course went straight for the jowls when getting my plate. Service was a little confused, especially trying to keep the dessert orders straight, but they were quick on refilling the tap water pitcher.
Afterwards we stopped at a couple places for a nightcap before taking the dingy back to the boat.

[Linked Image]
The "guest of honor" at the party

Tuesday April 3, 2018 On to St. Vincent
We again set sail in the morning, our destination was Young Island Cut in St. Vincent where we were going to make a short lunch stop. There is a good bit of set and drift from the wind and current, but we made good time and were able to negotiate a decent price for a mooring ball.

[Linked Image]]Young Island Cut

Most of us headed into Kingstown by bus, it’s a real experience, as here they squeeze four in a row no matter how big they are. The buses all have radios and the options usually range from music, gospel music and talk radio, drivers choice. Luckily our driver enjoyed soca music as much as I do.
When we arrived in town my first stop, naturally, was at the food trucks. There have been some changes; the juice trailer is no more, instead the lady that used to sell meals out of the back of her van now operates out of the trailer with an expanded menu. I opted for peas and pig tail soup, Kim had pelau and Nancy pumpkin lasagna. Nancy asked what pelau was and as I was explaining how to make it, caramelize the sugar in oil before adding the chicken, the entire line of people turned to look surprised that I would know the recipe. As they all stood there smiling I said “What, you don’t think this old white guy knows how to cook?” That brought a lot of laughs. From there we visited the fish market, lot of mackerel were on ice, market is large and clean and fish run 8 EC a pound. A quick swing was made to the farmers market where we stocked up on spices and hot sauce along with some fruits and veg.
Back to the boat and then motor sailed up to Cumberland Bay. Everyone came out to welcome Skyelark back as this is one of our regular stops. We went ashore and had drinks at Joseph’s, Mama Elma’s and Bennie’s bars. Dinner was onboard that night and arrangements were made for some of the crew to hike La Soufriere in the morning.

[Linked Image]
Dan arranging the hike with the guide

[Linked Image]
Skyelark at anchor in Cumberland Bay

Wednesday April 4, 2018

[Linked Image]
Fishermen setting their nets in the bay

The more fit and energetic of the crew left early to meet their taxi for the hike up La Soufriere; having done it once about 8 years ago was enough for me. If you’re ever on the island and are in decent shape I would highly recommend it. Many of the WARC boats fell for the old wives tale of St. Vincent not being safe for cruisers, but those who took our advice were pleasantly surprised by the beauty of Cumberland Bay and the friendly attitude of the people there.
We lucked out on our way to town, while waiting for a bus a taxi, on his way to Kingstown, stopped and offered to take us for 10EC each; a little more than the 6EC bus fare, but he was right there and we wouldn’t be crammed in.
Once in town I searched out some saltfish and then we headed for the botanical gardens. It was the first time I’ve been there and was well worth a visit. Your admission includes a guide, who was very informative. I liked this more than the one in St. Lucia and would recommend it when on the island.

[Linked Image]
The botanical Gardens

Afterwards we just wandered around visiting the market again and showing Nancy some of our favorite watering holes. We weren’t quite so lucky on our way back to the boat, the bus was crammed four to a row as usual, but luckily we had a couple thin ones in our rows so it wasn’t too bad.
Dan had arranged a goat roast for dinner with Julian from Mojito’s. Only problem turned out to be a birthday celebration that took place before our dinner. The chef had a little too much to drink and the goat wasn’t one of his better meals, but at least the mojitos were good

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!
Sponsors
Re: Grenadines Charter 2018 Part 3 [Re: Sunset_Sammy] #172400
10/11/2018 01:42 PM
10/11/2018 01:42 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
thanks for the report! That first picture should be a screensaver or a print on the wall!!! thumbsup Thanks for posting!

Carol Hill

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva