RonDon 85
fabila 47
Zanshin 41
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
27 registered members (StMartinFan, pandpfromcanada, GeorgeC1, CaribbeanCanadians, MrEZgoin, YachtReprise, polaris, Kegoangoango, Kevin_B, Swifty, JerseyPal, JeanneB, timnboston, sunmantwo, faithvough, SeeDiver, moontide, Manpot, 9 invisible), 784 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Curacao Beaches #172687
10/15/2018 12:20 PM
10/15/2018 12:20 PM
Vancouver, WA
Todd Offline OP
Traveler
Todd  Offline OP
Traveler
Vancouver, WA
Aloha, MJ and I will be in Curacao in late November for a week prior to a two week SXM stay. We would like to find nice beaches ideally that have lounge chairs (ideally with pads) that also has good food and drinks. Something similar to what Bruno on St Martin would have. Is there anything like that? We will have a car, and we are staying at The Royal Sea Aquarium Resort. If you have any other tips we would welcome them. I know we will go visit Karakter if anything to say hello to Jorrit and Marleen assuming they are still there. While we are more than capable of being active we are probably more interested in relaxing.
Thank you,
Todd

I prefer the Isle seat
Sponsors
Re: Curacao Beaches [Re: Todd] #172701
10/15/2018 01:51 PM
10/15/2018 01:51 PM
L
LBI2SXM Offline
Traveler
LBI2SXM  Offline
Traveler
L
We discovered Curacao about 12 years ago and still keep going (between SXM visits). It's a very cosmopolitan island with most Europeans, mostly Dutch. No comparison to SXM. We also stay at the Royal Sea Aquarium, it's a great place to stay. As far as beaches, they are different from SXM. It can be a little rocky at the shore line but flat once in the water. Not may beaches with chairs, especially the nicest. They are In the west, not long walkable beaches but cove like some with surrounding cliffs. The famous beaches are Playa Marie and Cas Abou in the west. Nice beaches with rest rooms, restaurant, and lounge chairs and umbrellas. There is a fee at both beaches, don't remember the cost. Close to you is Mambo beach, same type of beach with all the necessities. Spend a day at Karakter. It's so different from the one in SXM. Jorritt is still there. Fabulous sunsets. Glad you are renting a car, it's impossible not to. There are some good high end restaurants and some inexpensive. Food is very good but not comparable to Grand Case. Any other questions I'll be glad to help. Have a great trip!!

Re: Curacao Beaches [Re: Todd] #172873
10/17/2018 09:34 PM
10/17/2018 09:34 PM
originally Long Island, NY/now...
irish1223 Offline
Traveler
irish1223  Offline
Traveler
originally Long Island, NY/now...
We visited Curacao last Oct/Nov (in place of our SXM trip) and really enjoyed it. Don't try to compare it to SXM (easier said than done, I know), just enjoy it for itself. It does have a more European feel to it, being a favorite among the Dutch. Good restaurants, but not up to SXM standards. The beaches on Curacao tend to be smaller, they are not your typical mile-long extended beaches, but they are quite beautiful. There are a few where you could be the only ones there if you time it right. We agree that the most beautiful beaches are the ones up west, so make sure to visit those. Our favorites were Playa Knip, Cas Abou, and Daaibooi. Playa Knip was gorgeous with beautiful turquoise water surrounded by cliffs (including a jumping off cliff, if you're into that). There's no entrance fee at Knip, but there is a reasonable rental fee for chairs and umbrellas. There is a small snack stand, but don't expect anything fancy. Make sure you have a few guilders for the restroom. As already said, the beaches are a little rocky at the beginning, but nothing terrible. I wore water shoes, hubby didn't.

We did visit Karakter, but didn't stay long as the weather that day was very warm and all the umbrellas were taken. As noted above, it is very different from the one on SXM. We didn't like the beach as much, pretty rocky, and a favorite with the divers, it seems. But a nice bar nonetheless. It's in a gated neighborhood, so a little weird to get to. Don't let that put you off.

We will definitely return to Curacao one day -- while not SXM, it's pretty special in its own right. Have a wonderful time!

Edited to add: watch for the flamingos on your drive to the western beaches.

Last edited by irish1223; 10/17/2018 09:37 PM.

Robin & Ed

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller

Re: Curacao Beaches [Re: irish1223] #172912
10/18/2018 02:27 PM
10/18/2018 02:27 PM
Vancouver, WA
Todd Offline OP
Traveler
Todd  Offline OP
Traveler
Vancouver, WA
Thank you both, looking forward to the visit there and I fully understand that it will not be the same as SXM not that SXM is the same as it was since Irma. Something new to try and experience. The good part is we will be able to explore a bit and still have two weeks after on SXM to bring our heart rate down to where we can barely fog a mirror.
Cheers!

I prefer the Isle seat
Re: Curacao Beaches [Re: Todd] #172924
10/18/2018 06:29 PM
10/18/2018 06:29 PM
L
LBI2SXM Offline
Traveler
LBI2SXM  Offline
Traveler
L
You are welc0me. Enjoy your vacation! You will like Curacao, it's hard not to.

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva