dolfer 17
Member Spotlight
DanS
DanS
New Jersey, USA
Today's Birthdays
ACTON, kygirl, makeshiftwings
Who's Online Now
46 members (jbutah, candu, zhawk, MikeBiondo, SXMNAN, IWIWSE, fabila, foreversxm, GeorgeC1, RonDon, pedalpusher, Cincinnati_Kid, Leagle49, CaribbeanCanadians, Ackman, Fred, dolfer, KC2SXM, socamon, davidandsusannj, toast, anniefromks, StMartinFan, BillR, RatmansWife, Matt W, cbinparadise, MrTim-BTV, boucharda, NumberCruncher, 16 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
sunbvi Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
We are right now on anchor in Deadman Bay on Peter Island and thinking about staying here for the night.

As many people say Deadman Bay is not suitable for overnight anchoring I would like to ask if this is actually not a good idea to stay here for the night?

It is a little bit rolly but not very much and feels very good ...

What do you think? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

BVI Sponsors
T
Traveler
Traveler
T
If your anchor is well set (you should dive it as the bottom there can be very grassy), and the forecast is for no north swell go for it. We have done it many times.

Traveler
Traveler
Been there overnightt, the boat upwind of us dragged down on us...... I recall that for some reason I had woken up and checked topside and noticed they were much closer than earlier in the evening. It was a bit of a fire/anchor drill and could have happened anywhere....as tothedogs says there is lots of grass.......

I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila
sunbvi Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Thanks for your input.

We have put our anchor far away from the grass parts. Very good holding. Hope the same is the case for the other boats here in the bights.

In the last two Hours we had two squalls bringing gusts up to 28 kts and everything was fine.

Does anybody know if it is a front where the squall came from. In the satellit images I could only see a chain of clouds looking like a moderate front but didn‘t see a warm/cold front in the forecast charts.

Traveler
Traveler
Originally Posted by sunbvi
Thanks for your input.

We have put our anchor far away from the grass parts. Very good holding. Hope the same is the case for the other boats here in the bights.

In the last two Hours we had two squalls bringing gusts up to 28 kts and everything was fine.

Does anybody know if it is a front where the squall came from. In the satellit images I could only see a chain of clouds looking like a moderate front but didn‘t see a warm/cold front in the forecast charts.

No worries! Satellite and wave websites show only a few clouds and no obvious bad weather and/or large swells:

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/CaribbeanSatellite.aspx?animate=true
https://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz715

Last edited by Kmon; 11/20/2018 08:57 PM.
Traveler
Traveler
Watch for a slow drag. Grassless bottom in Deadman is soft sand and plow and CQR patterns may look well set but will slowly drag. Bruce, Spade and dished patterns do much better.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain

Link Copied to Clipboard