pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (anet_scot, Good Boy Gus, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, camview, luvtotravel, cabokid, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, JeanneB, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, ColoBoater, RonDon, jazzgal, ohstate, 8 invisible), 961 guests, and 67 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Amsterdam, AirBNB private tours? #196529
06/02/2019 02:28 PM
06/02/2019 02:28 PM
Bucks County, Pa.
toast Offline OP
Traveler
toast  Offline OP
Traveler
Bucks County, Pa.
I have booked a long weekend trip to Amsterdam and have been viewing the airbnb experience options , has anyone tried out the people providing private tours and experiences? There are things like private concert jams on a house boat and other very unique findings that I would think would lend to more cultural immersion. Just curious as to folks who may have tried them out.

Another question, the countryside tours all seem to go the same three spots, Zaanse Schans Windmills, Marken and Volendam, are there spots that would less touristy and more true country?

thanks in advance

Toast.......to Life; White Bay...heaven on earth.
Diane
Sponsors
Re: Amsterdam, AirBNB private tours? [Re: toast] #196553
06/02/2019 10:13 PM
06/02/2019 10:13 PM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
Toast,

A few years back, I was fortunate enough to take extended trips to the Netherlands for work 2 or 3 times a year. The one time my wife was able to travel with me, the Icelandic Volcano decided to let loose. We had 7 days of nothing to do but play tourist. We hit all three places (Zaanse Schans, Marken and Volendam) and your concern is valid.

Windmill City stands out as the ultimate tourist destination. Having said that - we had a great time and I got some great pictures.

Marken is beautiful and interesting place to walk around in explore, but not much is there. The town is a photographer’s happy place.

Volendam has a small but very interesting museum. There are rooms which have a beautiful murals of famous locations made by an old man that used collected cigar rings to create these walls of art. Sounds crazy but they are really cool. Also the museum has some interesting stuff on the Dutch Resistance during WWII. Volendam also offers a nice walk along the main street while looking at the boat and sea. You can also catch a bus to Edam (home of the cheese) which gives you a better view of a real place.

If you are there over the weekend, I would recommend going to Haarlem on Saturday. A 30 minute train ride from Centraal station they have one of the best markets in the Netherlands. If you have spare time or extend your trip Delft is also a fun place to experience.

Last trip to Amsterdam we had two days in the city following a Rhine river cruise. While there we took a tour of the Jewish Quarter. The tour was not about the Holocaust, but how Amsterdam historically has always had been a place religious tolerance. Since there were only 4 people on the tour, we did so much more than what was advertised. The guide was amazing. I think he was a retired history teacher. I have his card if you want let me know I will shoot you contact info. I think he could work with you on special or customized tours if interested.

Here is a link to our blog for that day. Beyond the Yellow Brick Road

I have always wanted to do an AirBnB rental of a house boat on one of the canals. Maybe one day... soon.

I highly recommend staying somewhere with reasonable walking distance to Centraal. I am very partial to the Jordaan district of Amsterdam. I will be curious what you select.

Last edited by TomB; 06/02/2019 10:22 PM.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: Amsterdam, AirBNB private tours? [Re: TomB] #199313
07/05/2019 04:56 PM
07/05/2019 04:56 PM
Bucks County, Pa.
toast Offline OP
Traveler
toast  Offline OP
Traveler
Bucks County, Pa.
thanks for the advice Tom. I would like his information if you have it. We selected an AirBNB in Oud-West right by the VAn Gogh museum, seems walkable to most places we want to see in Town and the exercise will be good if the weather is!

Last edited by toast; 07/05/2019 05:00 PM.

Toast.......to Life; White Bay...heaven on earth.
Diane
Re: Amsterdam, AirBNB private tours? [Re: toast] #199484
07/07/2019 10:04 PM
07/07/2019 10:04 PM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
Toast,

Sent you PM

Great location for exploring Amsterdam.

My favorite restaurant in Amsterdam is closed, but I will recommend an Italian place Casa di David that we really enjoyed.
The restaurant is not far from where your apartment is located.

Have a great trip... Trip report please

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés

Moderated by  Eric_Hill