Member Spotlight
FRANKIE2
FRANKIE2
S/V Event Horizon
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
jeverny, JimE
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (dennis623, Kelly H, dolfer, SXMScubaman, Thistle, 706jim, wct49, cbinparadise, KirkB, Bernd, Scott80, lcote, xrayman67, BHK, Zanshin, tmsxmsails, MACC60, StMartinFan, skipdastraw, mark37, TC42, 10 invisible), 869 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bareboat Sailing Grocery List #195
11/08/2000 11:50 AM
11/08/2000 11:50 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This is my first sailing trip that will be a week long and one of my jobs is to get the grocery list going for 8 people. We will be planning to eat about 75% of our meals on-board. Does anyone who went on a week sail with a total of 8 people have a copy of their grocery list that they would be willing to share with a newbie [Linked Image], so I can get an idea of quantity? My e-mail address is exdiago@aol.com. Thanks so much guys. Diane<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Administrator on 11/28/00 01:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Grocery List #196
11/08/2000 12:32 PM
11/08/2000 12:32 PM
NJ
danmasi Offline
Traveler
danmasi  Offline
Traveler
NJ
Well, I'm not sure if this'll help much, but here's a<br>provisioning order from a 1-week trip for 2 adults from<br>some time ago. Soda/beer isn't shown as it was ordered<br>from somewhere else. Hope it helps some!<br><br>I've always found that the best way to plan is to first<br>browse through a provisioning catalog (e.g. from Ample Hamper, Bobby's, etc) to get an idea of what's available;<br>then, sit down with pen, paper and Painkiller and write<br>down all of your meals for the week; then, go through all<br>of the meals and compile an ingredients list. It doesn't<br>really lock you into these exact meals as you can get <br>creative on the trip, but it's a good start.<br><br>Anyway, again, here's a shopping list I used for 2 adults<br>planning on very little "real" cooking and mostly casual<br>meals (all breakfasts & lunches, 4 out of 7 dinners):<br><br>-dan<br><br>Milk, Long Life Lowfat (1 pint) 6<br>Cereal, Kellogg's Variety 10-Pack 1<br>Bread, White sliced (1 loaf) 1<br>Buns, Hamburger (6-pack) 1<br>Buns, Hotdog (6-pack) 1<br>Bagels (6-pack) 1<br><br><br>Butter, Salted (1 lb) 1<br>Peanut Butter Creamy (12oz) 1<br><br>White Sugar (50 individual pkgs) 1<br><br>Instant Iced Tea Mix (1 jar) 1 <br>(Unsweetened if possible)<br><br>Coffee- Breakfast Blend (8 oz) 1<br><br><br>Tiptree Preserves, Strawberry 1.5oz 1<br>Tiptree Preserves, Raspberry 1.5oz 1<br><br>Apples - Granny Smiths (each) 4<br>Bananas (each, price/lb) 6<br>Canteloupes (each) 1<br>Grapefruit (each) 2<br>Honeydew melons (each) 1<br>Lemons (each) 4<br>Limes (each) 4<br>Oranges (each) 2<br>Pears (each) 2<br><br>Peaches, canned (10 oz) 1<br><br><br>Carrots (1 lb package) 1<br>Cucumber (each, price/lb) 1<br>Celery (bunch) 1<br>Garlic (each) 1<br>Lettuce, Iceberg (each) 1<br>Mushrooms (loose, per pound) 1/2 pound<br>Onions, red (each, price/pound) 1<br>Peppers, Green (each, price/lb) 1<br>Potatoes, Idaho (each, price/lb) 4<br><br>Cut Green Beans canned (15.5oz) 2<br><br>Broccoli spears frozen (10oz) 2<br><br>Hamburger Patties (4oz each) 4<br>Hot Dogs, beef (10 per package) 1<br><br>Ham, Cure81 (per pound) 1 pound<br>Pepperoni Stick (7 oz each) 1<br><br><br>Philadelphia Cream Cheese 8oz 1<br>Cheddar, Kraft Sharp 8oz 1<br>Kraft American Singles 8oz 1<br>Kraft Swiss Cheese Slices 8oz 1<br><br><br>Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing 8oz 1<br>Corn Oil (16oz) 1<br>Mayonnaise, Hellmans (1/2 pt) 1<br>Pickle Spears (16 oz) 1<br><br><br>Carr's Poppyseed/Sesame crackers 7oz 1<br>Walker's Stem Ginger cookies 5.3oz 1<br><br><br>Tuna, canned chunks in springwater 2<br><br>Chicken breasts, boneless skinless 2<br>Chicken Cordon Bleu 2<br><br><br>Filet Mignon (per pound) 2 steaks, 6 to 8oz each<br><br>Rice, Knorr Milanese 5.2oz 1<br><br><br>Frozen Lasagne 2 servings<br>Mustard, Grey Poupon (8oz) 1<br><br>Pound Cake (12oz) 1<br><br><br>BVI seasoning salt (5oz) 1<br>Salt & Pepper Kit 1<br>Ketchup, Heinz (14oz) 1<br>Sunny Caribbee Hot Sauce Yellow 5oz 1<br><br><br>Corn Chips, Planters 7.5oz 2<br>Pretzel Twists, Planters 6.5oz 2<br>Pringles Crisps 7.5oz 1<br>Pringles Lights 7.5oz 1<br><br>Dip, Creamy cucumber (8oz) 1 <br><br>Handiwipes (6-pack) 1<br>Joy dish soap 14oz 1<br>Facial tissues (100) 1<br>Scotch-Brite Scour Pad 1<br>Ziploc Storage Bags 1<br><br>Aluminum Foil (25 ft) 1<br>Candle (lowboy with net) 1<br>Charcoal Brix lights w/match (26oz) 3<br>Insect Spray, Supa Kill 400ml 1<br>Mosquito Coils (10) 1<br>Paper Napkins (60) 1<br>Plastic Plates (25) 1<br><br><br>Cranberry Juice (Ocean Spray 32 oz) 1<br>Pineapple juice (46 oz can) 1<br><br>Guava Nectar (12oz) 4<br>Grapefruit (12oz) 4<br>Orange (12oz) 6<br><br>Cream of Coconut (12oz) 1<br> <br><br><br>

Re: Grocery List #197
11/08/2000 01:54 PM
11/08/2000 01:54 PM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline
Traveler
Somewhere out there
Diane,<br><br>Remeber that you don't have to have everything when you depart the dock. There are grocery stores through out the islands - some are better than others. Most people buy too much food and not enough Pringles.<br><br>Good grocery stores in Roadtown, Soper's Hole, Leverick Bay, Fat Hog's Bay (inconvenient unless you start here), Trellis Bay Market (Just OK).<br><br>Look at amplehamper.com, they have updated the website. Just write in additional items you want.<br><br>Each boat also varies as to how good refrigeration is so don't load up on frozen stuff early for the end of the week - it won't last.<br><br>Put all food in the refrig in ziplocks. When things get wet they sometimes leak and then the refrig starts smelling real bad.<br><br>For the shopping list you just need to plan some rough menus. Don't plan on 5 course meals, they boats aren't setup for that. Pasta meals and things that can be grilled are easiest for the cook.<br><br>Mike<br><br>

Mike
Re: Grocery List #198
11/08/2000 03:25 PM
11/08/2000 03:25 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Another thing to consider is you can bring some staples from home. Ex: Zip lock bags filled with spices (but be prepared for some questions from the Customs man if he spots a baggie full of Oregano[Linked Image]). Picking up extra individual packages of ketchup, mustard, relish, etc from places like McDonalds at home can also be brought down with you. Dump them in a ziplock bag as well (in fact of bag of Zip locks can be just as valuable as duct tape!)<br><br>You may also find the previous charterers didn't use everything they bought. On our charter somebody had left behind some beer and wine (bless their hearts!!!). Though obviously you can't really plan for that one. <br><br>I agree with the previous post: don't forget some decent snacks. They are great for mid-afternoon breaks as well as evenings in the anchorage after dinner.<br><br>D<br><br>

Re: Grocery List #199
11/08/2000 03:40 PM
11/08/2000 03:40 PM
Texas
bvi_bound Offline
Traveler
bvi_bound  Offline
Traveler
Texas
On our website, I've detailed our meals for 8 days for 6 people. You can see it here: http://home.austin.rr.com/donandkati/PROVISIO.HTM<br><br>We ended up provisioning everything aboard at the beginning of the trip, but only for breakfast and lunch. We at every dinner ashore but one, and ended up provisioning for the onboard dinner at Leverick as we were exiting the North Sound of VG. We re-provisioned a couple of times ashore for snacks, beverages and ice, but that was about it. We had a 42 foot cat with a fridge, deep fridge and a an ice chest. Space was never a problem, but I can see how it would be with a smaller boat or a larger crew. <br><br>We used Bobby's for provisioning and found them to be very professional and efficient.<br><br>

Re: Grocery List [Re: bvi_bound] #200
11/08/2000 06:00 PM
11/08/2000 06:00 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks all for your great advise. My nerves are starting to return to their normal state [Linked Image]<br><br>

Re: Grocery List #201
11/08/2000 09:27 PM
11/08/2000 09:27 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The Ample Hamper at Sopers Hole has great provisioning packages, you tell them how many and they do the rest. I have used them twice and found the quality and quantity to be good. They take everything into account, even the things you would normally forget. Try them, make your first trip painless. you can always pick up everything else you need along the way, that the fun of it!<br><br>

Moderated by  Administrator