Traveltalkonline.com Forums


SXM Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors SXM Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics31,559
Posts242,430
Members25,552
Most Online2,218
Jan 21st, 2020
Top Posters(30 Days)
GaKaye 64
Kennys 57
Fred 51
RonDon 40
Member Spotlight
Posts: 85
Joined: April 2002
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
islandgem, JasonHelmbrecht, ktrayray, Sedona
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Fred, ScottW, SAS, barryvabeach, captmonk, Mountaineer, SXMbeacher, CLIFFTOPS, JimandBeth, Lynneddog, Tonythepilot, jagmansr, RonDon, RobR, bakins, BenP, Orange_Burst, MrTim-BTV, NCSailor, eightzerobits, dlparch, bbeach, jenniboston, ronwald1, road3682, Jeannius, GW248, Bigdaddy, o2bnsxm, sugarae, cacapasa, CaptainJay, SteveH, Wingman, 320sycamore, 3 invisible), 237 guests, and 409 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Covid testing prior to departure #245532
01/21/2021 07:36 PM
01/21/2021 07:36 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 15
B
beachlovers84 Offline OP
Traveler
beachlovers84  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 15
Hi Friends!
I saw a post about possible locations on the island for testing. Can you give a recommendation for the most efficient testing center? Were you able to make an appointment and what was the cost?
Thanks!

SXM Sponsors
Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245533
01/21/2021 07:40 PM
01/21/2021 07:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,054
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,054
Central Florida!
Since that requirement doesn't kick in until January 24, I doubt anyone here will have experience with this, yet.


Carol Hill
Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: Carol_Hill] #245538
01/21/2021 08:38 PM
01/21/2021 08:38 PM
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 116
Ontario
C
Canuck54 Offline
Traveler
Canuck54  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 116
Ontario
Check with your resort, Simpson Bay resort is setting up a place next to Hollywood Casino for many of the resorts in the area, I believe it is rapid test only and cost is $70. We are getting tested at Orange Grove Lab which is PCR test and also $70.

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245539
01/21/2021 08:53 PM
01/21/2021 08:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
TinaOysterBay Offline
Traveler
TinaOysterBay  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
We are currently in St. Maarten, I scheduled our pre-departure Covid tests yesterday with SLS (St. Maarten Laboratory Services), wanted to make sure we could get the appointment on the day we needed it. It is a PCR test, we were told results come back within 24 hours. You send them an email with your Name, DOB, address, flight info, Passport #, etc and they then send you an email back with your scheduled test time. You pay at the time of service ($75), and results are uploaded to a patient portal.

Their website is www.sls.sx, the details are listed for what they need in order to schedule your test. Hopefully this all goes as planned, they are the same company our resort is offering testing through, but the resort testing day was too early for our flight.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
This is from the email they sent me:

In preparation for your pre-travel COVID-19 screening at the Sint Maarten Laboratory Services (SLS), please read the below instructions carefully. Please note that pretravel screening is on an appointment basis ONLY.

[b]How can you make an appointment for pre-travel screening? Email the following information to: prescreening@sls.sx

- Full Name
- Date of Birth (dd-mm-yyyy)
- Gender
- Address
- Telephone nr.
- Email address
- Date of Travel
- Time of Travel
- Passport nr

Once the information is accepted, an email will be sent to you from SLS with your appointment date and time. Please arrive on time for your appointment!

What will you need for your appointment at the lab? Please provide an ID and payment upon registration. We accept Cash, Maestro and Visa cards.

What to expect from the procedure? The nasal swab procedure is performed by trained staff within the lab and takes only a few seconds.

How will you receive the results? Your PCR results will be available online within 24 hours of collection by accessing your SLS patient portal. Registration of the patient portal will take place upon check in at the lab.


Hope this helps!

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245541
01/21/2021 09:05 PM
01/21/2021 09:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 488
Eastern NC, N Topsail Beach
S
SXMFOX Offline
Traveler
SXMFOX  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 488
Eastern NC, N Topsail Beach
Lot of hoops!

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245553
01/22/2021 07:53 AM
01/22/2021 07:53 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 401
South Coast of MA
S
SXMBND Offline
Traveler
SXMBND  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 401
South Coast of MA
What is the time frame from test to departure???

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245559
01/22/2021 09:36 AM
01/22/2021 09:36 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 151
Upstate, NY
Mikel Offline
Traveler
Mikel  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 151
Upstate, NY
The CDC order says 3 days (no mention of 72 hours) and our resort is telling us that if you leave on Saturday afternoon, you can test on Wednesday morning. Will be interesting to see how it is actually implemented.

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245562
01/22/2021 10:13 AM
01/22/2021 10:13 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
TinaOysterBay Offline
Traveler
TinaOysterBay  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
We are doing within 72 hours just to be safe. Crazy that the CDC is not more clear on that. I messaged AA on their app, the person on their live chat had no idea if AA would allow us to test Wednesday am for a 2pm Saturday flight or if we would get turned away, so we decided to play it safe.

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: TinaOysterBay] #245566
01/22/2021 10:29 AM
01/22/2021 10:29 AM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 13,435
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 13,435
Auburn, WA
Good idea. Never know what a gate agent will enforce.

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: Mikel] #245570
01/22/2021 12:26 PM
01/22/2021 12:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 401
South Coast of MA
S
SXMBND Offline
Traveler
SXMBND  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 401
South Coast of MA
Originally Posted by Mikel
The CDC order says 3 days (no mention of 72 hours) and our resort is telling us that if you leave on Saturday afternoon, you can test on Wednesday morning. Will be interesting to see how it is actually implemented.


Thank You.

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245591
01/22/2021 08:09 PM
01/22/2021 08:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 196
Rhode Island
E
eightzerobits Online content
Traveler
eightzerobits  Online Content
Traveler
E
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 196
Rhode Island
Guests only, but Divi has onsite testing

Quote
Starting Thursday, January 28, Divi Little Bay will be providing testing at the resort on Thursdays from 5-6 p.m. in the hospitality room for $125 per person, which will be billed to your room to be paid at the end of your stay. Guests can sign up for testing upon arrival to the resort by providing their name, date of birth, and e-mail address. Once the tests are completed, they will be taken to the laboratory for testing, and results will be available within 24 hours. For assistance with on-site testing on alternate days, please contact the Front Desk.

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: TinaOysterBay] #245814
01/25/2021 07:59 PM
01/25/2021 07:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 15
B
beachlovers84 Offline OP
Traveler
beachlovers84  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 15
Please let me know how it goes!

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245862
01/26/2021 04:44 PM
01/26/2021 04:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,098
Massachusetts
boucharda Offline
Traveler
boucharda  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,098
Massachusetts
We left before the mandatory testing prior to travel BUT got tested in RI the day we arrived (arrived at 1am) and got neg RT-PCR results 20 hours later. We are MA residents but RI has it down pat with testing...

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #245937
01/27/2021 02:06 PM
01/27/2021 02:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 52
East Tennessee
lhbsurf Offline
Traveler
lhbsurf  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 52
East Tennessee
We arrived yesterday and booked an appointment with a local doctor for a rapid test the day before we leave. It cost $75 per person. I'll let you know if we have any hiccups - we are scheduled to leave on February 9.

We have been able to distance easily and most everyone seems to be masked when appropriate. We did notice that Mullet Bay was packed today, so we avoided there.


Laura
Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #246023
01/28/2021 09:24 PM
01/28/2021 09:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
TinaOysterBay Offline
Traveler
TinaOysterBay  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
For those wondering, here is our experience with Covid testing on the island today:

We have an afternoon flight on Saturday, and opted to test directly at SLS laboratory (St. Maarten Laboratory Services in Little Bay) this morning, to stay within 72 hours of departure. (American Airlines customer service was unable to tell me if we would be allowed on their flight if testing on Wednesday morning at our resort - technically within 3 days, but more than 72 hours, so we decided to play it safe and go to the lab on Thursday.)

Registered online - easy to do with the instructions on their website. Very responsive to emails. Set up our patient portal passwords to get results.
Arrived at 8am for an 8-8:30 am appointment window. Sounds like they do ALL appointments early morning. There were approximately 40 people milling around outside the entrance when we arrived, all masked.
Lady working for SLS handed us a number for our group, we were #27, and they had just called in #11 from the 7:30 am group. Groups ranged from 1-8 people.
We had to wait outside until called to do our final registration and payment before testing - we were called in for paperwork at 10:10. Took awhile to do the paperwork, even though we had provided all the info in an email prior and set up our passwords on their patient portal prior to arrival at the clinic.
After completing the paperwork we were directed to a shaded tent in the back of the clinic - from there we were called almost immediately for testing, which took just a few minutes, and were back on the road at 10:30 am. Total time elapsed was 2.5 hours, we did not expect to wait so long with an appointment!
Received our results in the patient portal this evening, sometime between 4pm and 9:30 pm.

Takeaways:

1)Even though we had an appointment, it took almost 2.5 hours before we were actually tested. I felt bad for people waiting with kids and babies in tow! You have to wait outside, and there was very limited shaded area to stand in. They did have 5-6 chairs on the sidewalk, and steps to sit on, but most had to stand. I suspect part of this was due to it being the start of ramped up testing and working out the kinks.

2) Traffic from Oyster Pond to the lab in Little Bay on Hamster Ave was slow! Took us about 35 minutes to get there, we left at 7:25 am.

3) The people working at the lab were SUPER nice, and everything was very clean and professional feeling. Very diligent about everyone wearing masks, sanitizing hands, etc.

4) We had our results back the same evening, which was great.

5) Cost was $75, we paid cash but I did see some people using credit cards.

6) A guy I was chatting with as we waited said one of his friends was denied boarding back to the US yesterday as his test was more than 72 hours old (it was 77 hours old), not sure if that was on St. Maarten or elsewhere, but that was what he told me.

Hope this answers some questions for those wondering!

Last edited by TinaOysterBay; 01/28/2021 09:30 PM. Reason: added lab location
Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: TinaOysterBay] #246026
01/28/2021 10:05 PM
01/28/2021 10:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 401
South Coast of MA
S
SXMBND Offline
Traveler
SXMBND  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 401
South Coast of MA
Originally Posted by TinaOysterBay
For those wondering, here is our experience with Covid testing on the island today:

We have an afternoon flight on Saturday, and opted to test directly at SLS laboratory (St. Maarten Laboratory Services in Little Bay) this morning, to stay within 72 hours of departure. (American Airlines customer service was unable to tell me if we would be allowed on their flight if testing on Wednesday morning at our resort - technically within 3 days, but more than 72 hours, so we decided to play it safe and go to the lab on Thursday.)

Registered online - easy to do with the instructions on their website. Very responsive to emails. Set up our patient portal passwords to get results.
Arrived at 8am for an 8-8:30 am appointment window. Sounds like they do ALL appointments early morning. There were approximately 40 people milling around outside the entrance when we arrived, all masked.
Lady working for SLS handed us a number for our group, we were #27, and they had just called in #11 from the 7:30 am group. Groups ranged from 1-8 people.
We had to wait outside until called to do our final registration and payment before testing - we were called in for paperwork at 10:10. Took awhile to do the paperwork, even though we had provided all the info in an email prior and set up our passwords on their patient portal prior to arrival at the clinic.
After completing the paperwork we were directed to a shaded tent in the back of the clinic - from there we were called almost immediately for testing, which took just a few minutes, and were back on the road at 10:30 am. Total time elapsed was 2.5 hours, we did not expect to wait so long with an appointment!
Received our results in the patient portal this evening, sometime between 4pm and 9:30 pm.

Takeaways:

1)Even though we had an appointment, it took almost 2.5 hours before we were actually tested. I felt bad for people waiting with kids and babies in tow! You have to wait outside, and there was very limited shaded area to stand in. They did have 5-6 chairs on the sidewalk, and steps to sit on, but most had to stand. I suspect part of this was due to it being the start of ramped up testing and working out the kinks.

2) Traffic from Oyster Pond to the lab in Little Bay on Hamster Ave was slow! Took us about 35 minutes to get there, we left at 7:25 am.

3) The people working at the lab were SUPER nice, and everything was very clean and professional feeling. Very diligent about everyone wearing masks, sanitizing hands, etc.

4) We had our results back the same evening, which was great.

5) Cost was $75, we paid cash but I did see some people using credit cards.

6) A guy I was chatting with as we waited said one of his friends was denied boarding back to the US yesterday as his test was more than 72 hours old (it was 77 hours old), not sure if that was on St. Maarten or elsewhere, but that was what he told me.

Hope this answers some questions for those wondering!



Thank you for this post, we have an appointment at the same location on 2/7 at 1:30 p.m. and it's nice to know what to expect.

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: SXMBND] #246032
01/29/2021 05:25 AM
01/29/2021 05:25 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 99
Arlen, TX
BillDauterive Offline
Traveler
BillDauterive  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 99
Arlen, TX

How did you present results to the airline? Did you have printed results to present to the ticket agent?

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: BillDauterive] #246035
01/29/2021 06:52 AM
01/29/2021 06:52 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
TinaOysterBay Offline
Traveler
TinaOysterBay  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by BillDauterive

How did you present results to the airline? Did you have printed results to present to the ticket agent?


Hi Bill, we fly out tomorrow, and plan to show electronic copies of our results. With the portal you can download your results as a PDF, I did that and then emailed it as an attachment to myself. We plan to just pull up the email attachment to show at the airport, this worked coming down for one in our party who did not have a printed copy, so I am hopeful it works going back. A printer is the one thing I did not pack!

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: TinaOysterBay] #246037
01/29/2021 07:36 AM
01/29/2021 07:36 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,092
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,092
Ohio
Thanks for the updates and good luck. I am not sure where you are staying but most resorts, even small ones, will have a printer one can use for printing a few pages.


J.D.
Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: TinaOysterBay] #246043
01/29/2021 09:08 AM
01/29/2021 09:08 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,054
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 74,054
Central Florida!
Tina--thanks so much for posting your experience. Does not sound terribly pleasant, but I read somewhere a report from someone who went to the Mullet Bay Clinic, and it was even worse..


Carol Hill
Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #246064
01/29/2021 11:35 AM
01/29/2021 11:35 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 151
Upstate, NY
Mikel Offline
Traveler
Mikel  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 151
Upstate, NY
Tina, I have used the printer next to the bar area at OBBR for printing before. I had a thumb drive with me and plugged that in and printed. You might even be able to pull up your email on the computer they have in there.

Re: Covid testing prior to departure [Re: beachlovers84] #246067
01/29/2021 12:05 PM
01/29/2021 12:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
TinaOysterBay Offline
Traveler
TinaOysterBay  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
Just saw this on the CDC website - not sure if it was recently added, or if I missed it earlier:

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?
The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.


Also relevant:

What is a verifiable test result?
A verifiable test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy) of a laboratory test result. Testing must be performed using a viral test (NAAT or antigen), and negative results must be presented to the airline prior to boarding. The test result documentation must include information that identifies the person, a specimen collection date and the type of test. A negative test result must show test was done within the 3 days before the flight. A positive test result must show the test was done within the 3 months before the flight.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1