Member Spotlight
casailor53
casailor53
Rincón PR
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
46 registered members (sunmantwo, SXMBND, luvtotravel, johndana274, Tonythepilot, KirkB, OceanSong, BillB42, lcote, Uksimonusa, MKGrey, Rbailey, louismcc, RonDon, Time Will Tell, John, nevar37, RickG, ColoBoater, tpcook, Fred, taraavo, Alltech63, hokiesailor, charlie, mark37, JeanneB, PML, Kevin_B, deliveryskipper, ericlut, MrEZgoin, 14 invisible), 995 guests, and 71 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is it that you love about the BVI? [Re: Ragtime] #263034
08/24/2021 01:12 PM
08/24/2021 01:12 PM
marisol Offline
Traveler
marisol  Offline
Traveler
I want to thank Ragtime for that wonderful tour down memory lane. We started going to the BVI's in 1995 and have many of the same memories. Never got to fly on the DC-3 though. I had forgotten about Donovan's Reef, it was one of our favorites!
We actually stayed at Drakes Anchorage for 2 nights one time. They had a special then called the 'Yachtsman Special". At the end of our sail we got off the boat and stayed there for 2 nights. They even had a dinghy included with the room. The meals were unforgettable. My kids just loved it, and we felt very pampered by the staff.
I always tell my friends that sailing in the BVI's soothes the soul. Can't wait to get back.
Thanks again.

BVI Sponsors
Re: What is it that you love about the BVI? [Re: trueblue] #263062
08/24/2021 08:37 PM
08/24/2021 08:37 PM
C
Cleobeach Offline
Traveler
Cleobeach  Offline
Traveler
C
Our first visit was in 1995 while staying at Caneel. We took the Caneel boat over, visited the Baths and ended with lunch at Little Dix. I am still using the Mad Dog beer coozie for that trip. Like me, it is dry and wrinkled now….

We did i many day trips for STJ for years before staying on VG in 2008 and were hooked. We loved the smaller crowds compared to STJ.

Re: What is it that you love about the BVI? [Re: bernk] #263081
08/25/2021 02:14 PM
08/25/2021 02:14 PM
Ill, USA
Will_L Offline
Traveler
Will_L  Offline
Traveler
Ill, USA
We started in the early 90s on St. John. We rented a Villa with friends for several years and began when it became doable going a couple other times a year for10 days or so, just the admiral and I.

I would watch those on boats offshore on St, John firing up the gril and having Sundowners while we had to drive back to a huge priced vacation rental. That was fun..but something was missing.

Each trip we took a BVI event. Snorkel trips here and there, private 6 packs, , Horizion excursion etc. it was our best day of most trips.

We looked into charter ownership. We had boated on big lakes and the biggest river in the states, but we understood our limitations. We decided sailing was not in the cards for our age.. Being able to use a powerboat certaintly was. We took several courses at schools on the Chesapeake Bay and with Club Nautique out of Sausalito Ca. The latter gave us another vacation destination we return to a lot of times during the summer.

We put a trawler in charter with TMM in 2005. They set us up with their asa instructor, Simon Wood (now owner of a Rib rental, snorkel/excursion outfit and Italian Wine and Cheese, an especially great gourmet store on Tortola) for two weeks at our behest , who remains a close friend to this day. It could not have gone better or learned more.

For the next several years we took multiple trips on the boat ..with me asking the Admiral “right or left” when passing the last green can out of Road Harbour, we enjoyed to the max the BVIs and the freedom the boat brought.

Like many we had our favorite island. For us it was Virgin Gorda. We found we were spending more time there than elsewhere. We began looking at property on VG. We did a year long search and settled on a condo at Olde Yard Village..primarily because it was less than a mile from savannahBay. Savannah Bay In all our travels is beyond question our favorite beach. And as we learned on St. John we wanted to face East ,.trade winds facing us and afternoon shade.

The condo filled our other requirements..east facing..300 yards from the cool Atlantic that provides cooling, though all rooms are air conditioned…seldom used.

We sold the charter boat in 2014 after an amazingly long and somewhat profitable(if one considers usage) run in charter. We purchased a 27 foot Glacier Bay catamaran and it gave us escapes to Jost and Anegada for day trips.

Alas some health/cancer/ radiation caused mobility issues caused us to sell our powercat. The good news for most boat owners is likely we sold the powercat. smile The really good news for us is I’m stumbling around less and moving better than I expected to be.

So it was great to charter a boat this summer with friends and.return to the condo for first time in a year and a half.

The people of VirginGorda, our friends Simon and Heather, Letty and Rudy were still the great friends we have not seen in a bit.

Our trip unfortunately coincided with the spike in Covid in the islands. But what keeps us specifically coming back our those friends, Virgin Gorda and Savannah bay .

It was a path that worked well for us and we would not change .

Last edited by Will_L; 08/25/2021 02:19 PM.
Re: What is it that you love about the BVI? [Re: bernk] #263150
08/27/2021 11:48 AM
08/27/2021 11:48 AM
Virgin Gorda, BVI
V
VirginGordaResident Offline
Traveler
VirginGordaResident  Offline
Traveler
V
Virgin Gorda, BVI
Full Moon Sailing in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda!! And drinking beers at The Bond w/ Gunny

Page 2 of 2 1 2