Member Spotlight
Islandercpl
Islandercpl
Brunswick - Upstate NY
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
SXMNorm
Who's Online Now
19 registered members (SXMNAN, steve74, JohnandBev, duckfat, kaba, SXMScubaman, fabila, tmsxmsails, JerseyPal, MikeBiondo, 9 invisible), 894 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bequia trip report #27507
06/04/2014 08:03 PM
06/04/2014 08:03 PM
Maryland
Nauticall Offline OP
Traveler
Nauticall  Offline OP
Traveler
Maryland
This was our second trip to Bequia and our second stay at Tranquility Villa in Moonhole. We stayed there last May for 8 nights, we had such a great time we decided to try it again for 2 weeks! There are 4 of us, 2 couples that have been traveling together for many years.

We flew out of BWI to Miami and then on to Barbados on American, had a couple of hours in Barbados at the airport waiting for our SVG flight to Bequia. We took advantage of this time to have a few drinks at the bar and also to pick up a few bottles of our favs at the duty free shop! SVG flight was on time and direct to Bequia (sometimes they stop at other islands en route).

Our taxi driver, Brendon was there as soon as we exited the terminal, I think they remembered us from last year! We were driven to Moonhole entrance where we were met by Harry, our cook’s husband, he carried all of our baggage up the trail to Tranquility Villa where Doro was there waiting for us with open arms! It was like a joyous homecoming! Hugs all around! And then we smelled our welcome dinner……..LOBSTER!!! There is nothing much better than fresh caught lobster prepared by what must be one of the best cooks on the island! Not to mention the homemade coconut cream pie!! I won’t give a blow by blow account of every day but the highlights were Doro’s cooking. She came in every morning and prepared our breakfast, eggs, french toast, pancakes, omelets, sometimes made with leftover lobster! We always had fresh fruit and Doro’s homemade bread with local guava jelly! So much for the diet!! I’m sure I gained weight, I haven’t had the nerve to get on scale since our return. For lunch we had homemade vegetable soup, callaloo soup with lobster of course! And conch fritters, made with leftover conch from stewed or curried conch from dinner. Are you getting the hint that we were very well fed? Oh, I forgot to mention the orange soufflé, we had that twice it was so good.

Some days we never left the villa it was so relaxing we just couldn’t tear ourselves away. We did a power boat trip with Fantasea Tours to the Tabago cays for snorkeling and then went to Mayreau, Saltwhistle Bay for lunch and drinks, this was trip we took last year also and one that I highly recommend. We also took a day trip with a guy called African, on his catamaran to Mustique, we had lunch and drinks at Basil’s bar. The trip was great, the food was good, African was a great host and captain. We did an island tour with our driver Brendon who was very knowledgeable about everything on the island, he took us to Firefly Plantation where we took a plantation tour and were able to sample several of the fruits that are grown there. We went to Sugar Reef Hotel for lunch which was very good, we also went back to Sugar Reef for dinner one night.

Funny story about dinner, our friends were paying for dinner and there was a problem with the credit card going through so the owner, Emmit was called to assist, long story short they ended up paying cash…..fast forward to the day we were leaving, we were in the airport, waiting for our flight and one of the security guards came in looking for the person that had been to Sugar Reef, the other folks that were there waiting for the same flight had stayed at Sugar Reef and one of them went out to see what was up. He came back and pointed to me saying, he wants you. When I went out it was Emmit and he had an envelope with cash in it saying that the credit card charge had gone through and he wanted to return the cash that out friends had paid! Where else are you going to get that service?

So anyway on with the story, we had lunch at Mac’s Pizza that was really good, dinner at Bequia Beach Hotel was really good, all the rest of our meals were at the villa. I always love all the fresh produce that is available in town, so unlike other places we have been, fruit, veggies, eggs, etc. I will end this by saying that the people of Bequia are wonderfully friendly and always have a smile on their face.

Tranquility villa and Moonhole are something like no other place I have ever been. You have to hike in to the villa on a stone path up from the beach area, it takes about 7 minutes, all up hill. It is well worth it! The villa is beautiful! All made from local stone, great sitting and lounging areas. Wonderful patios large bedrooms all with private baths open to the outdoors. The master bedroom patio is fabulous, especially at night for stargazing! The pool is lovely and overlooking the water below. We enjoyed being in the pool watching for the afternoon SVG flight coming in!

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and this one did. Our flight from Bequia to Barbados was on time and was an Air Mustique plane, a 4 seater, plush! It was a great flight. The flight from Barbados to Miami….. not so great. We boarded and sat on the plane for 3 hours! After the issue was repaired we took off for Miami and when we landed, there was another plane at our gate so again we waited. Needless to say we missed our connecting flight to BWI and AA had to put us up at the Holiday Inn to wait for our flight the next day at 2 pm. Oh well, what can you do? It makes for a good story, right? It was a GREAT trip and we hope to do it again soon.

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 06/04/2014 08:25 PM.
Sponsors
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: Nauticall] #27508
06/04/2014 08:27 PM
06/04/2014 08:27 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Hi. I put in some extra spacing to make the report easier to read.

Thanks so much for the report! The food sounds out of this world!!

Carol Hill
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: Nauticall] #27509
06/05/2014 08:47 AM
06/05/2014 08:47 AM
St. Thomas, USVI
Nutmeg Offline
Traveler
Nutmeg  Offline
Traveler
St. Thomas, USVI
Thank you! Moonhole has been on my list of places to stay since we sailed by it between Bequia and Mustique. Very cool place from the water. I think there was one for sale on House Hunters. Would be a very niche market!

[color:"red"]NUTMEG[/color]
Today is the tomorrow you talked about yesterday.
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: Nutmeg] #27510
06/05/2014 09:10 AM
06/05/2014 09:10 AM
Maryland
Nauticall Offline OP
Traveler
Nauticall  Offline OP
Traveler
Maryland
I will try to get some pics posted in the next day or 2. Yes there was one on Househunters Intl., I don't remember which one though. There are a couple for sale now, Tranquility, Burke House, and Windholme. As far as I know there is only one that the owners live in full time, these folks are in there 70's and you see them trudging up the path carrying there groceries! Not for me at that age!

Kathy

Where to next?
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: Nauticall] #27511
06/05/2014 10:16 PM
06/05/2014 10:16 PM
MIA
I
irina Offline
Traveler
irina  Offline
Traveler
I
MIA
Love love love Bequia. We looked at buying there before we ended up in SXM.
Fabulous place. Went there 5 times at least.
Stayed at Sunny Caribbee which has been closed for years.
Amazing island. Sailed the Grenadines with Tradewinds Cruise Club one year. Ended up a few days at Gingerbread.
The callaloo soup there is the best in the caribbean.
Great report.
Cheers
irina

Re: Bequia trip report [Re: irina] #27512
06/06/2014 03:40 PM
06/06/2014 03:40 PM
Maryland
Twanger Offline
Traveler
Twanger  Offline
Traveler
Maryland
Loved the report!

One of my fondest memories of our trip to the Grenadines was on Mayreau .... hiking up to the village on the hillside from Salt Whistle Bay and drinking my way from bar to bar. It was beastly hot, and we were two quarts low by the time we got up to the top of the hill. We stopped in the shade to watch the school children play cricket with their school teacher in the schoolyard. Righteous Roberts gave us a tour of his bar, including a cool little suite he was building on the upper floor.

Re: Bequia trip report [Re: Twanger] #27513
06/07/2014 09:47 PM
06/07/2014 09:47 PM
SouthCarolina Offline
Traveler
SouthCarolina  Offline
Traveler
I loved Bequia and the Grenadines, thanks for the trip back down memory lane. Moon Hole from the water was very cool. I would love to stay there one day.

Re: Bequia trip report [Re: SouthCarolina] #27514
06/16/2014 01:56 PM
06/16/2014 01:56 PM
Virginia
B
BVIShuga Offline
Traveler
BVIShuga  Offline
Traveler
B
Virginia
Nauticall - I have so many questions about Bequia and the villa you stayed in. Open to answering them?
We usually go to St John and the BVI's except last year a trip to Anguilla. I am thinking maybe a trip to Bequia next year. Have you been to St John and if so how does it compare to Bequia?

Love sailing the BVI's with friends.
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: BVIShuga] #27515
06/17/2014 07:21 AM
06/17/2014 07:21 AM
Maryland
Nauticall Offline OP
Traveler
Nauticall  Offline OP
Traveler
Maryland
BVIShuga, I have been to St John. I had been going to St John every year until I found Virgin Gorda and fell in love with that island. It would be hard to compare Bequia with St John. Bequia is nowhere near as Americanized as St John, we loved it and if it wasn't so difficult to get there we would go back next year for the 3rd year in a row. Town on Bequia has a very local flavor, the rasta market, local crafts people selling from tables on the walkway. Lots of small stalls selling all kinds of fresh fruits and veggies, local fishermen selling whatever they caught that morning. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Kathy

Where to next?
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: Twanger] #27516
06/30/2014 01:56 AM
06/30/2014 01:56 AM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline
Traveler
Lutz, FL
Twanger said:
Loved the report!

One of my fondest memories of our trip to the Grenadines was on Mayreau .... hiking up to the village on the hillside from Salt Whistle Bay and drinking my way from bar to bar. It was beastly hot, and we were two quarts low by the time we got up to the top of the hill. We stopped in the shade to watch the school children play cricket with their school teacher in the schoolyard. Righteous Roberts gave us a tour of his bar, including a cool little suite he was building on the upper floor.

i know this trip report got off track but my first to the grendadines Mayreau was also our favorite remember walking up and down the hill (which would be the whole island) and won't forget it. my favorite bay so far would be Salt Whistle Bay. Have a pic of a restaurant in mayreau standards with lounge chairs out front and chickens looks like a front yard it's a restaurant friggin loved it. Look forward to being in bequia again in december!

[Linked Image]
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: tangerine3] #27517
06/30/2014 02:02 AM
06/30/2014 02:02 AM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline
Traveler
Lutz, FL
nauticall yes agree can't compare st john to bequia in any sense. it takes a lot to navigate there air or sail. but it drew us back. if you're used to a lot of amenities bequia won't be for you. if you can be self catered and kicked back then go

[Linked Image]
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: BVIShuga] #27518
07/22/2014 11:21 PM
07/22/2014 11:21 PM
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
caribbeangirl13 Offline
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Offline
Traveler
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
BVIShuga said:
Nauticall - I have so many questions about Bequia and the villa you stayed in. Open to answering them?
We usually go to St John and the BVI's except last year a trip to Anguilla. I am thinking maybe a trip to Bequia next year. Have you been to St John and if so how does it compare to Bequia?

BVIShuga: Having lived in the Grenadines as a kid and now having chartered in SVI, BVI and the Grenadines I would recommend you visit Bequia. It is unique and still has the "old school" feel all the islands once had. Worth the visit and the change of pace. If it were up to me we would be back in the Grenadines this December but the teenagers and college kids love the action in the BVI.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: Bequia trip report [Re: caribbeangirl13] #27519
07/29/2014 04:59 PM
07/29/2014 04:59 PM
Virginia
B
BVIShuga Offline
Traveler
BVIShuga  Offline